Sewmor Mdl 404

Old 02-17-2012, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Well, I can take some pics of the motor, but to get pics of the cooling fan I'll have to take it apart. So that will happen tomorrow.
Right now my work bench is occupied by the SEWMOR's case. I stripped the wall paper off the bottom and am gluing it back together. It wasn't broken, the glue just gave up and it came undone.

Joe
Don't you just love it when the case has been "fixed" by using contact paper? Or, better yet, my DD picked up a pretty Brother Wizard for me today (have not seen it in person yet) and the bottom case is covered and wrapped with silver duct tape. I also have a couple of machine cases that did not ship well at all and I have not tackled the fixing of them. What kind of glue do you use?
Old 02-18-2012, 02:16 AM
Power Poster

I had one case come with termite damage and I have one that is now a case kit - one day the top exploded - boards are warped - then the bottom part of the bottom just fell off. Flood maybe? Machine wasn't in very good shape.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I had one case come with termite damage and I have one that is now a case kit - one day the top exploded - boards are warped - then the bottom part of the bottom just fell off. Flood maybe? Machine wasn't in very good shape.
Sounds like water or moisture damage to me. I think a lot of machines were put out in the garage and on a concrete floor. The dampness wicks up into the wood. I am thinking that woodworking is a skill to be added to our skill set.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

I think the kit one was in a damp Indianapolis basement - the termite case was no doubt in a shed or garage
Old 02-18-2012, 10:55 AM

Caroline,
These cases are covered in a weird fabric or wallpaper from the factory. I'm pealing it off because when the case came apart it tore the paper up and it looks hideous.
I'm not sure if I'm going to recover it with cloth or wall paper. But I'm going to try to match it as close as I can.
Got any idea where I can find alligator skin pattern wall paper in brown and black? Or a fabric like that? That's what I need.

Mirium,
Water or moisture is the a #1 enemy of these cases. I'm about 99% positive they used water soluable glue when they assembled them and after they soak up the moisture the glue just gives up. I've repaired 2 that were broken, and am completely redoing two that just came apart. The same glue was used in all of them. It's brownish and looks like a layer of thick shellack but it don't hold no more.

The glue I use is Elmers Carpenters glue. I've never had it come apart after gluing things together with it.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
Hmmmm. Send me some pictures of the motor and the shattered cooling fans. I will send them on to my brother and see if he has some ideas on how to fix if possible.
Carloline,
If you like to PM me your email addy I can send you the pics easier that way than I can put there here. I did get some taken.

Joe
Old 02-18-2012, 01:50 PM

Well, I finally have a good picture of the SEWMOR 404. Got it all cleaned up and running a couple days ago.

This is a very smooth running machine. It will need some fine tuning but that is to be expected.

Caroline,
I haven't heard from you yet so here is a couple pics of the busted up motor and fan:
Motor:

Shaft diameter where the fan rides: 8.25 mm
Brushes: 4.9 mm x 5.65 mm

Fan:

Joe

Last edited by J Miller; 02-18-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Carloline,
If you like to PM me your email addy I can send you the pics easier that way than I can put there here. I did get some taken.

Joe
Busy day, went to a Quilt Show. I will PM you my Email address. I see you did post the pictures below and I will copy and send them to my brother for his evaluation.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:45 PM

[QUOTE=J Miller;4986307]Caroline,
These cases are covered in a weird fabric or wallpaper from the factory. I'm pealing it off because when the case came apart it tore the paper up and it looks hideous.
I'm not sure if I'm going to recover it with cloth or wall paper. But I'm going to try to match it as close as I can.
Got any idea where I can find alligator skin pattern wall paper in brown and black? Or a fabric like that? That's what I need.

QUOTE]

After looking at some of my cases, I am thinking that they were covered in some kind of oil cloth. I wonder if a light naugahyde would work instead of wall paper?
Old 02-19-2012, 03:57 PM

Caroline,

My HOTHER was covered by a black material that had a fabric type quality to it. It had an alligator skin type pattern on it.
MY SEWMOR was covered by a brown material that was a paper of some kind. It had the same alligator skin pattern as the Hother case did. The only paper I've seen that resembles it was wall paper.

I have another case with the same pattern and I think it's paper too. But that case is in OK shape so I'm not gonna tear it apart to see.

Once I get the wood parts cleaned, and glued back together it really doesn't matter what I cover them with. I'm just hoping to find something similar to the original.

Although if I used a mat black material I could tell everybody it was my "tactical" sewing machine. LOLOLOL
Or, I could do one in digital camo. That might be pretty neat.

If I could find a light cloth with pics of sewing machines on it I'd use that on one of them. Just for the fun of it.

Joe