Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Should I buy this Singer 66?  No experience >

Should I buy this Singer 66? No experience

Should I buy this Singer 66? No experience

Old 01-06-2011, 02:59 PM

I agree with the others - although in my area, I might go a little higher - $25 or 30. The decals are in pretty poor condition and it doesn't look like they're just hiding under grime - it looks like they've been worn away.

It's also a back-clamping attachment and it can be expensive to buy the feet and attachments that make it a more versatile machine. Perhaps as Prism mentioned, the feet are hiding in the storage compartment. If the machine does have a full kit of attachments, I would probably pay $50 for it, even knowing that I would almost certainly have to replace all the electrical components.

People don't usually have any idea of what to charge for these old sewing machines and sometimes they seem to be under the impression that the pretty colors or just their age make them worth their weight in gold.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by tellabella
$20 sounds right and if you don't want to spend more for parts, etc. don't bother...
I agree, it's not in good shape and will be needing work/parts which are pricey.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:11 PM

Is there a lid for the case?
If not, that's another reason to lowball your offer (but if the machine runs when plugged in, $20 may be too much of a lowball)
Old 01-06-2011, 11:35 PM
Kas

And what is under the pedal? It is sure cleaner than mine was, but mine was free!
Old 01-07-2011, 07:39 AM

That is a bit high for one in that condition. I paid $100.00 for a Red Eye in a Parlour Cabinet and I pd $50.00 for a Red eye in a beautiful 7 drawer treadle cabinet in wonderful shape. The cabinets alone go for more than that, when they are in good shape.

Keep looking on Craigslist. I see Red Eyes on my local CL all the time and most of them come in nice cabinets. This is also the perfect time to look on CL because everyone is starting to do their spring cleaning and you can get some really good deals on vintage machines.

ETA: Here is one in a parlor cabinet that is listed today, in Haverhill, MA, for $100.00:
http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/atq/2145988706.html
This cabinet looks really nice, although I can't see the pedal in the picture.

Here is a cute video, by Treadle Lady.com, showing how these cabinets work:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TreadleL.../5/Fi8a_OHUv1M

She has some other videos that are helpful to those who are new to treadle machines.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:31 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid

She has some other videos that are helpful to those who are new to treadle machines.
OMG-- thank you so much for the link to that video!! I just bought a Singer 66 in this cabinet and brought it home today. This video saved me so much frustration! God's timing just amazes me...

Below is a picture of mine:

Singer 66 w/ lotus decals in parlor cabinet DR04
[ATTACH=CONFIG]159067[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-159062.jpe  
Old 01-12-2011, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl

OMG-- thank you so much for the link to that video!! I just bought a Singer 66 in this cabinet and brought it home today. This video saved me so much frustration! God's timing just amazes me...
God's timing is always amazing :-D . Your cabinet looks a lot like mine. I almost gave it to a friend of mine and I was looking for a website to help show my friend how the "elevator" works and I came across TreadleLady's video. Long story short I decided to keep my parlor cabinet and learn how to use it. Does yours have a belt? That's what was holding me up--I didn't have a belt but I have since bought some but still need to put it on.

My parlor cabinet--it looks just like yours
[ATTACH=CONFIG]159114[/ATTACH]

This is my first red-eye machine that came in the parlor cabinet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]159115[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-159109.jpe   attachment-159110.jpe  
Old 01-12-2011, 07:34 PM

Where did you find your beauty? I haven't found anything that nice here in Mississippi.

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl

Below is a picture of mine:
Old 01-12-2011, 09:03 PM

I'm not sure where "sewbizgirl" found hers but mine was on Craigslist. I've seen several of them on there in the past year. You just have to keep checking....you'd be surprised the deals you can get if you know what to look for. Most people are just trying to clean out their attics. Good luck in your search.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

[quote=QuiltDraggon]Where did you find your beauty? I haven't found anything that nice here in Mississippi.

quote]

I found it at a local flea market, but believe me, there aren't any more. I've been there several times looking and all the other machines in there are in pretty rough shape. Never have seen this cabinet before, but I've since learned that Singer made one even fancier than this-- it's the same cabinet but with additional pieces of oak scrollwork glued on, like the old fireplace mantlepieces have. That cabinet is the DR05...