Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Should I buy this Singer 66?  No experience >

Should I buy this Singer 66? No experience

Should I buy this Singer 66? No experience

Old 01-06-2011, 01:04 PM

I came across this machine today at a resale shop and didn't know if it was interesting or not. They are asking $125. It is in it's original box. It appears the piece that covers the bobbin is missing. The foot pedal was there. I hand turned the nob and the needle did go up and down. I just don't have a clue about what I'm doing but would hate to miss out. The decals seemed to be in pretty good shape with wear in places that would be normal with use. Advice???
Attached Thumbnails attachment-155100.jpe   attachment-155101.jpe   attachment-155102.jpe  
Old 01-06-2011, 01:08 PM

looks like a red eye, it is beautiful!
there are a couple of experts here on the board. get in contact with them.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

I would not, especially if you don't have prior experience. It looks like a Red Eye, which is a nice decal to have, but it's in a portable (ha-ha-ha) case (they weigh a ton!). I'd want a 66 in a cabinet. Plus, where I am anyway, $125 is overpriced for a machine in this condition with the bobbin cover plate missing. If I found this in a local thrift shop, price would be around $35 to $50.

Also, I *always* plug a machine in at the thrift shop and make sure the foot pedal makes it run. If I've thought ahead, I also bring thread and fabric so I can make sure the machine actually makes a stitch when it runs. (If it doesn't make a stitch, it could be out of time, and that requires some knowledge to fix at home.) I also don't like to buy machines unless the cords are in good condition, although my understanding is that replacing the cords is not a huge deal.

$125 would be a good price if the Red Eye were in a treadle cabinet.

Oh, one more thing. With this kind of case, the machine is hinged at the back so you can tilt the machine back and store small items in the base. There are usually a couple of little hinge locks on the right side that you can move with your finger to allow this tilting. The bobbin cover plate might be in the bottom of the case. (You can see one of the hinges in the last picture.)
Old 01-06-2011, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
I would not, especially if you don't have prior experience. It looks like a Red Eye, which is a nice decal to have, but it's in a portable (ha-ha-ha) case (they weigh a ton!). I'd want a 66 in a cabinet. Plus, where I am anyway, $125 is overpriced for a machine in this condition with the bobbin cover plate missing. If I found this in a local thrift shop, price would be around $35 to $50.

Also, I *always* plug a machine in at the thrift shop and make sure the foot pedal makes it run. If I've thought ahead, I also bring thread and fabric so I can make sure the machine actually makes a stitch when it runs. (If it doesn't make a stitch, it could be out of time, and that requires some knowledge to fix at home.) I also don't like to buy machines unless the cords are in good condition, although my understanding is that replacing the cords is not a huge deal.

$125 would be a good price if the Red Eye were in a treadle cabinet.
Good sound advice! I agree :thumbup:
Old 01-06-2011, 01:34 PM

In my area, that is a bit high...but if you think it's worth it...go ahead.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:30 PM
Kas

The decals on the bed are in bad shape. Tell them you will offer them $20.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:34 PM
Power Poster

I agree with Kas who said offer them $20. See what they say.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:37 PM

$20 sounds right and if you don't want to spend more for parts, etc. don't bother...
Old 01-06-2011, 02:49 PM

I wouldn't go above $20 either.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Power Poster

Its pretty, but I think too expensive too!