should I buy this

Old 04-09-2013, 11:34 AM

Default should I buy this

I found a Japanese clone at Goodwill today. I am new to vintage machines. Should I pick up machines for parts if I really don't know what I am doing or just stay with machines that are in great condition? The machine today was missing the slide plate but the belts looked good and I am concerned about the motor as it seems to have a residue on it. It has the bobbin case and a bobbin. The flywheel moves freely. At 29.99 is it worth it?
Old 04-09-2013, 11:46 AM

I would say to hold off and start with one in good sewing condition to play with as a first machine. Then you'll be more familiar with what to look for when you buy a fixer upper. Some slide plates are easier to come by than others. Check your local Freecycle and Craigslist for a goodie. Good Luck!
Old 04-09-2013, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by GheckoAZ View Post
I found a Japanese clone at Goodwill today. I am new to vintage machines. Should I pick up machines for parts if I really don't know what I am doing or just stay with machines that are in great condition? The machine today was missing the slide plate but the belts looked good and I am concerned about the motor as it seems to have a residue on it. It has the bobbin case and a bobbin. The flywheel moves freely. At 29.99 is it worth it?
Yes, it's worth it. I'd try to talk them down to at least $25.00 because of the expense of the slide plate though. Those can be easily had from Sew-Classic { http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/Plat...Plates_c14.htm }

Most motors are dirty. Most of them have oil ports and have been well oiled. I've only bought one clone with a bad motor and that was because the internal fan had fragged. The motor still ran good, but without a cooling fan it wouldn't have lasted long.

At $29.00 and no shipping I already would have had it home and running.

Joe
Old 04-09-2013, 02:38 PM

After further thought I went back and got the machine. Mainly because of the case it came in and also the possibility of a good motor. I'm still looking for a motor for Fifi the Pfaff 130 that didn't have a motor when I bought it.
This Singer Clone is a real nice looking machine although I am afraid she might be broken. It looks like the tension nob is in pieces. I am going to have to look at some pictures of the front end of similar machines to see. What is odd is that the light is blue but so are the parts of the tension nob.
Attached Thumbnails 2013-04-09_15.15.40.jpg  
Old 04-09-2013, 02:47 PM

Here are a couple more pictures.
Attached Thumbnails 2013-04-09_15.39.56.jpg   2013-04-09_15.41.10.jpg  
Old 04-09-2013, 06:01 PM

If that's not a standard plate it will take a long time to find one, if you can. I'd invest my time in a Singer so you can at least get parts.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:19 PM

GheckoAZ,

OK, I posted a source for the slide plate above but I'll go straight to the item:
{ http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/Bobb...e-SCP15147.htm }
It's a whopping $3.99.

As for the top tension it does need repair and possibly parts. I can't see from your pictures what is missing. The top tension is something your local sewing machine shop should have. It is VERY similar to the Singer 15s and might even be interchangeable.
Sew-Classic does have the thread check spring in stock as well. And there are other sources for parts on the web.

Now, about the motor. If I'm seeing correctly that is a BELGELCOR motor. That is an EXCELLENT motor. I bought an entire perfectly good machine just to rob the motor off of it for my HOTHER machine. I put the replacement motor from the HOTHER on the other one.

Don't let those who are Singer lovers ( not that being a Singer lover is a bad thing ) tell you that machine should be scrapped or parted out. You have more there than you know. Fix it and I'll bet you a 10 pack of Schmetz needles you'll enjoy using it.

Joe
Old 04-09-2013, 08:36 PM

It's quite beautiful. I don't think I could resist.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:41 PM

Thanks, Joe.
I will be ordering that plate and I also found the tension spring to replace the one the one that is out of shape. I just need to figure out if I have all the parts. I only have one disk and according to the pictures of a Singer 15 it looks like I may need the beehive shaped spring. The motor runs beautifully but there is no way to regulate it as I think I need to plug the motor and light into a box or something then into a foot pedal. It may take a while but I'll keep working on it.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:54 AM
Power Poster

This manual might help figure out the tension. I had to enlarge the page I wanted and go very slowly the first time.
I wouldn't give more than $10 for one in that shape. It can take time to fix but it is doable. Some of the thrift stores will come down on their price if you ask.

http://www.tfsr.org/pub/technical_in...echanism_2.pdf