Show and Tell - Spartan

Old 10-17-2013, 06:33 AM

Default Show and Tell - Spartan

It's show and tell time. I feel like a kindergartner. Usual story - a non-operating inexpensive machine I think I can rehab and flip. The armature was filthy, the plastic carrier was crushed on shipping, the machine was deligated to parts bin. One day it surfaced and I began rehab. Like many machines having little original attention it cleaned up very nicely. De-gunking, lubricating and scrounging a few missing parts made this little machine hard to let go of. It sews as well as any 66 class machine should, is as quiet as any of the 66 class. I took some pictures to list it for sale and thinking of a base price I decided I couldn't let it go for what it would sell for. So, the Little Spartan That Could may end up being my traveling, albeit, heavy, pseudo-featherweight. Do others have the same I-can't-let-go fault?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]441709[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0589.jpg  
Old 10-17-2013, 06:41 AM

I sure would with that machine. Nice save.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

Very nice machine!!!
Old 10-17-2013, 07:06 AM
Banned

Funny thing.... I have the SAME machine with the same damage. Add to it a busted tension spring and you have what i have.

It has no electronics because it is the backup machine for the "deployed soldier" thread. I have a handcrank on it now and the tension is repaired. fun little machine. Now I am looking for a 3/4 case for it.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Funny thing.... I have the SAME machine with the same damage. Add to it a busted tension spring and you have what i have.

It has no electronics because it is the backup machine for the "deployed soldier" thread. I have a handcrank on it now and the tension is repaired. fun little machine. Now I am looking for a 3/4 case for it.
Steve, One of my many hobbies is woodworking. I'm now, as of today, thinking of fabricating a custom case for my pseudo-featherweight. Right, right after I finish rehabbing and selling everything else!
Old 10-17-2013, 07:35 AM

Except for the lack of decals and badge, and the branding, I can scarcely see a difference between that and my 99k which I am working on.

When you have it sitting as you do, is it level, or is the right side a titch higher than the left? (It is that latter way on my 99k, which also lacks a base as of yet.)

And yes, I have the same disease as you do. Most of us here do. ;-)
Old 10-17-2013, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

I would hang on to it since I only have one and no spare!
Old 10-17-2013, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. View Post
Except for the lack of decals and badge, and the branding, I can scarcely see a difference between that and my 99k which I am working on. When you have it sitting as you do, is it level, or is the right side a titch higher than the left? (It is that latter way on my 99k, which also lacks a base as of yet.) And yes, I have the same disease as you do. Most of us here do. ;-)
It does "lean." However, it is because the right side has a metal projection meant as a "leg." The left side rests on a bolt holding the bobbin case mechanism. The machine is meant to be in a base, a cute but fragile bottom came with it from the factory. The two bases I've seen had been crushed to bits.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:19 PM

Is the Spartan a 99 without a light? Check out this one on shop goodwill. Is the base the factory one?

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...-14440455.html
Old 10-17-2013, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Sheluma View Post
Is the Spartan a 99 without a light? Check out this one on shop goodwill. Is the base the factory one?

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...-14440455.html
Yep, no light. It is essentially a 99, but I think even a little smaller. I haven't measured but it seems smaller. That's the original base. It looks as if it has been crushed also.