Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shuttle Singers

Shuttle Singers

We have purchased 2 machines that have shuttle bobbins. Both need rewired so I haven't tried them out yet. And no I don't have pictures yet. Too many quilting deadlines for me to take the time right now. We would like all our vintage machines to be in working condition, eventually. I would like to take turns sewing on them, it's so cool! I just got to wondering what it was like to sew on a machine with a shuttle.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Loud and lots of vibration IMO. They are neat machines. Just not my favorite.

Some are louder than others, some vibrate more than others too. My Franklin in it's parlor cabinet is down right noisy. The cabinet acts as a megaphone and amplifies the noise.
    The actual sewing isn't that much different. Once the bobbins are filled and put in the shuttle you do the same things to sew. I have 5 shuttle machines ... so far. I use them all.

Joe

Blog Entries
    I love my shuttle machines....I like the sound, and I like the stitches they make. They are noisier than a round bobbin, but that's ok with me.
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Oh, here's one thing I've found. All the shuttle machines I have weather they live in a cabinet, or a case have rubber, felt, or leather cushions under the machine. These are usually either gone or hard as a rock. Replace them and the machine will be quieter.
    If you can't find the cushions, you can make them.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Oh, here's one thing I've found. All the shuttle machines I have weather they live in a cabinet, or a case have rubber, felt, or leather cushions under the machine. These are usually either gone or hard as a rock. Replace them and the machine will be quieter.
    If you can't find the cushions, you can make them.

Joe
    Would you use the rubber pads that come on industrial machines? Just cutting them smaller?
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Susie,

I'd use anything I could get that could be modified if I couldn't find the exact parts. On my Greyhound and New Home I used 1/2" Rubber stoppers ( rubber corks ) and cut them to fit. Works fine. On other machines I've used layers of felt and on others leather cut to fit.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    I love my shuttle machines....I like the sound, and I like the stitches they make. They are noisier than a round bobbin, but that's ok with me.
    I have a hand crank shuttle machine and I love the little 'clickety clack' sound it makes as it travels it's path.
    ~~Cathy~~

Muv
    Every long bobbin machine has its own individual rattle. If the bobbin winder works well and they make a good stitch they are lovely, equal to any other machine. I have only recently started to use round bobbin machines.

This is areal memory booster! I learned to sew on a shuttle bobbin machine with a treadle! You wound the thread on a long bar like thingy and put that into the silver shuttle, threaded the thread through the shuttle, put it in the machine and away you went. I would just love to have one in my home today, alas not enough room or money to buy one!!! Thanks for the memory :-)
    Last edited by majormom; 06-08-2012 at 06:35 AM. Reason: had more to say!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast