singer 15-91 help

Old 08-12-2014, 11:14 AM

Default singer 15-91 help

I’m hoping one of you lovely folks can help! I posted a few months back about the singer 15-91 that I got. It has been great so far. Except, I am having a complete brain freeze and don’t know what I am doing wrong- even with youtubes help. I can’t seem to get the machine to pick up from the bobbin for the ‘second’ thread. This bobbin is my first real bobbin that I have winded myself- the others all came from my Grandma when she showed me how to use this machine when I got it. Second, I am in serious need of a new brain. LOL. I cannot for the life of me remember how to get the automatic bobbin winding feature to work on this machine. I would get it to spin, but then all the thread would be on one side. Then I got it to spin, but no thread wound. Ugh. Can someone help me reset my brain on what I should be doing to get these things to work as they should? I have a whole bag of things waiting to be repurposed. J Watching the videos and reading the manual is not helping right now. Thanks!!
Old 08-12-2014, 11:28 AM
Banned

my guess on the picking up of the thread is either wrong needle or needle facing the wrong way.

Pictures of the area on your machine that are being problematic may help folks here be more effective in helping. Your machine may for example be missing a part that allows it to wind properly, but we would not know without a pic.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:39 AM

It sounds like 2 problems - 1.) winding a new bobbin and 2.) bringing the bobbin thread up from the bobbin case.

For winding the bobbin:
Are you sure you have the right bobbin? On the spindle where you put the bobbin there is a small pin, make sure the notch (or hole) in the bobbin slips over the pin, that is what causes your bobbin to spin. My book said if your bobbin does not fill evenly that mean your bobbin latch is too tight. My book said it is an automatic bobbin winder too, but we have always pushed the area next to the balance wheel to give it a bit more pressure against the wheel. I learned to sew in 1962 and still winding bobbins the same way.

2.) bringing up the bobbin thread we do need to know what you are doing - because it could be that you have the needle in wrong or the bobbin case is not in all the way or you have not put the bobbin in the case properly. So, recheck how you threaded the bobbin case - did you make sure the thread is going to pull from right to left, then when putting it into the case did you pull the thread through the slot and past the tension spring? (It's doesn't look like a spring, it looks like a piece of metal wrapped around the bobbin case.)

Good luck!

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 08-12-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:24 PM

Singerco.com has a free download of the manual for a 15-91.
http://www.singerco.com/uploads/down...54a175ca4c.pdf
There's very good instructions on bobbin winding and how to install the bobbin inside.
I hope this helps,
Rodney
Old 08-12-2014, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

Is the needle in the right direction. Are you threading it the right direction? Use the correct manual and read carefully.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:30 PM

Thanks. I have not touched the needle (taken it out etc). I will check on how the bobbin is threaded. I have thread pulled through the little space mentioned above, but I may have it coming from the left. I will try and take pictures tonight of what I am doing and post them. thanks all!!
Old 08-13-2014, 12:34 PM

I find that the top thread goes from right to left through the needle. That's all I really know about that. LOL
Old 08-13-2014, 12:37 PM
Power Poster

maybe this link will help:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...e-t250390.html
Old 08-14-2014, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Singerco.com has a free download of the manual for a 15-91.
http://www.singerco.com/uploads/down...54a175ca4c.pdf
There's very good instructions on bobbin winding and how to install the bobbin inside.
I hope this helps,
Rodney
Thank your for this link. I had no idea Singer had these available! I am a novice when it comes to featherweight knowledge. I just got my first this summer.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:04 PM

I figured out the bobbin winding issue. But I am still having trouble getting the machine to pick up the bobbin thread. I will attempt to add pictures of what I've done.