Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 15 Wiring Questions - Worth Taking? >

Singer 15 Wiring Questions - Worth Taking?

Singer 15 Wiring Questions - Worth Taking?

Old 05-07-2014, 07:54 PM

Default Singer 15 Wiring Questions - Worth Taking?

My mom has a Singer 15 that's been in her attic for at least 20 years. I thought I'd bring it home and rescue it, but I discovered 1) it weighs a TON and I couldn't figure out how to disconnect the wiring to lift the head out of the cabinet, and 2) the power cord, which I did disconnect, was so brittle that it cracked through to the bare wire in half a dozen places. Since the power cord was ruined by the heat, I suspect that it will all need to be rewired and don't have a clue where to start. My mom bought it new in about 1958 or so, and she never used it much. It has a buttonholer and zigzag attachment. The cabinet is in good shape. Access to the attic is kind of precarious, so I truly don't know how to get it out and I'm wondering if it's worth trying to fix it. How hard is wiring??? I did turn the wheel and everything moved okay. I'm also a little hesitant because my mom said she never could get the tension adjusted right. I'd like to actually use the machine. Help?

Last edited by Champanier; 05-07-2014 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-07-2014, 08:47 PM

easiest to do it, since you mentioned that wirings are all brittle and cracking, you can just cut them. that way you can lift the head out of the cabinet. you're going to be doing all new wirings anyway.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:02 AM
Power Poster

Well worth having that machine.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:07 AM

Get a friend, better yet get two friends and them help you get it out of the attic. The machine itself only weights 30 or so pounds so it's not that heavy. Just seems so since it's in the cabinet.

Rewiring is a piece of cake. There are a lot of tutorials and threads here about how to do it. Also blog entries by forum members on the subject.

The tension problem is also fairly easy to fix with lots of info here too.

Joe
Old 05-08-2014, 07:54 AM

Thanks very much! My mom lives 8 hours away, so I'll try to figure out something for the next trip home. I'll definitely count on the threads and tutorials for rewiring, which scares me! Thanks again!
Old 05-08-2014, 01:12 PM

Wiring used to scare me too. I started learning to do wireing and how to solder 2-3 months ago. I've re-wired 2 lights and three motors and several plug ends. They all work. I would definitely get the machine. Singer 15's are nice. Rain has a great tutorial series for a motor re-wire and you can follow right along.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:06 PM

Aren't these people great! So full of knowledge and willing to help everyone. Someday I might need their help.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:51 PM

Singer 15s are nice machines. That's why they were made (and copied) for so long. Bad designs don't last. Between it being a nice machine and your mother's to boot it's certainly worth the effort to get it home and working again. Tension issues can be fixed.
Rodney