singer 237 question

Old 08-17-2015, 09:36 PM

Default singer 237 question

this was my mom's machine- I inherited a lot of machines from her but this is the only one that I remember her having when I was a kid. I think I saw her use it a couple of times but the cabinet was always there..so I'm wanting it to work! suprisingly I'm finding I like the simplicity of the machine or what I think will be simple once it's working. the problem is I threaded it and went to try it out - even pinned together some fleece to make a throw I was so excited - but the zigzag was way off and the thread seemed to be 'falling'. I went back to youtube and a threading diagram online and realized the tension disk thingy isn't right on mine- it has the flat round part on top and that's what I went under but in the video and diagram it looks like it's supposed to have a wire loopy thingy that sticks out for the thread to go through (I think going under the disc is for bobbin winding but haven't gotten that far since there was already a bobbin in it)I think the screw that tightens the disc is missing as well (looks like a hole but may be a screw farther in but don't think so)

I pm'd a local shop that specializes in antique/vintage machines to see if they have the part by any chance (hoping it's not hard to put on ) but I may be hitting ebay or the facebook groups and here! asking where else to look for these parts. In the meantime I'm wondering if there's something else I can try with the zigzag or do you think that missing part is the problem? if it is I'll just leave it and move onto another machine. I've already oiled it - other than taking off the top of the machine - oiled underneath and in the holes and took out the screw on the side and oiled the needlebar area. it seems to run pretty smooth though it did balk when I went to straight stitch but think I had the stitch too tight. also that thing that selects the stitch size isn't screwing tight to lock the lever into place...I think it's supposed to tighten? it moves up and down easily though and the stitch lengths changed.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:38 PM

http://www.sewusa.com/Threading_Diag...ng_diagram.htm on page 7 it's the top picture- mine has the round disk thingy but not the wire looking thing and screw
Old 08-18-2015, 02:40 AM
Power Poster

Tammi has a really well done video about how to rebuild your tension. Parts are available from sew-classic or other on line places. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzFX...AyBQ2l-Mzkw7ew

I don't know if that machine has plastic or metal gears. You might check to see if it is plastic gears. It may be that the zz timing is off. You will need someone who knows how to do the zz timing to fix that.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:07 AM

thanks Miriam- the part i'm missing is up on the top - not the tension dial thing on the front. hadnt t hought about timing but was hoping the problem is with the threading not being right...the machine wasn't used much at all - I remember my mom having it then she went to nursing school then work and sewing just didn't fit into her plans but she kept the machine. I could kick myself for not pulling it out when I was interested in sewing myself- but then she never thought it was a good machine - I remember once looking on ebay and the ones there were free if you pay shippinig- now it seems to be more popular. I'm hoping it will work because i like the simplicity of it- there's straight stithch and maybe 5 zig zag settings, l,c,r needle positions, stitch length and reverse - pretty simple and nonintimidating looking...but it's got to work to be simple!
Old 08-18-2015, 06:18 AM

well someone told me the guide Im missing shouldn't be causing the problems I was having so back to the drawing bosrd and yay I got it to sewing! still wnt to get that part though but at least I'm getting decent stitches. the regular tension was off a little bit but mostly that tension dial on top- think the pressure for the foot?! that sucker had gotten turned all the way so no wonder i had problems1 this is really a nice machine- at least the gray model is - simple to pick the stitches. still need to get the stitch length loosened up - the thingy that tightens to hold the stitch that's chosen - it wont twist
Old 08-18-2015, 08:44 AM

I'm happy to see you got the tension figured out. Try getting some oil on your stitch length mechanism. Once you get it loosened up and some fresh oil on it, it should be fine.
Rodney
Old 08-18-2015, 10:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by quilt938 View Post
http://www.sewusa.com/Threading_Diag...ng_diagram.htm on page 7 it's the top picture- mine has the round disk thingy but not the wire looking thing and screw
That wire looking thingy in the picture is the thread guide for threading the machine to sew with it, the round disc thingy is the tension for winding a bobbin. You can tape a small paper clip right there to use as a thread guide. The 237 is a favorite for it's satin stitch, touted to be the best of any vintage machine. It can also be treadled, many people love using it that way.

Cari
Old 08-18-2015, 03:24 PM

Sew-Classics.com has some tension springs. I bought one a while ago. Check out the free manual sites also. You can read or print then read.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:10 PM

thanks! Cari I actually considered a paper clip LOL didn't seem like rocket science but I don't like the thread hanging down in the way even though I'm thankful it's sewing now! I did find a free manual on one of the facebook groups- now to remember where it was so I can print it at work tonight!
Old 08-18-2015, 07:57 PM

well I lucked out on ebay- I was *this* close to seriously making an offer on another 237 just to get this little part! well I didn't because I really need to leave room and money for other machines that will come to me someday but I DID spend just under $20 on an auction for the top/face that includest he part I need! hopefully seller will pack it well and get that sucker to me..may just switch out the tops instead of trying to get that little part switched out..will have to see! just happy to get the part I needed without buying a new machine though I might still stumble on the machine locally for less than that LOL!