Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 31-15 Spa Treatment Experiment >

Singer 31-15 Spa Treatment Experiment

Singer 31-15 Spa Treatment Experiment

Old 01-05-2014, 02:09 PM

Default Singer 31-15 Spa Treatment Experiment

This is not a tutorial, this is an experiment. I don’t know how it’s going to come out until I get there. I’ve wanted to try this sewing machine soak treatment ever since I bought a bunch of machines from a deceased collector’s wife. His goal in his hobby of vintage sewing machines, according to his wife, was to get each one to sew, while ignoring the cosmetics of the machines. I’ll have to say that he surely achieved his goal, as nearly every one of his machines that I got is still operating freely, even though they haven’t been turned for several years. And some of them are kind of ugly. His wife said that he didn’t care much how they looked, he just loved to make them operational again. I never got to meet him, but I wish that I had.

Mixed in with his sewing machines, tools, parts, and other things that I bought, there were several cans of a spray lubricant that I’ve never used before. There were some nearly empty cans and some full cans both. Since there weren’t any other lubricants or penetrants visible (to me) in his stuff, I would guess that this is the goop that he liked to use to free up sewing machines. He also had one of the largest antique tractor collections in north Texas at his passing, and had switched to sewing machines in later years when the tractor parts got too heavy for him to enjoy. Antique tractor people in the area will know who I’m talking about.

I’m going to give this stuff a test on the rusted-up, bound-up 1937 Singer 31-15 that I just toted home. On close inspection, the needle is mounted into the needlebar backwards. All indications are that the machine was perhaps declared “broken”, since it wouldn’t sew, and left to set out in the weather until the wood portion of the power stand deteriorated to the point of collapse. The wood portions were discarded (along with the bobbin winder and presser bar knee lift that were still mounted to it), and the machine, clutch motor, and H-leg power stand offered for salvage. I’m going to try to bring it back into service.

Since my camera flash concealed the label on the can in my photos, I’ll keep the name of it a secret for now. The only hint that I’ll give is that the stuff is a petroleum-based product. If the stuff causes the machine to turn pink and fly off, I wouldn’t want to reveal the name of the product for obvious reasons. For safety, this activity is being undertaken on an outside open-air covered patio. Besides that, my wife wouldn’t put up with the smell of this stuff inside of her house.

Photo 1: A quick photo showing what looks like an old wheelchair, but it’s actually a “Heavy Sewing Machine Transporter”. I have 5 of them scattered around at home and at the shop. The one shown is the Model HSMT1, the first one that I bought several years ago.
Photo 2: On a flat bench surface, a 33-gallon trash bag with an old fiber cafeteria tray inserted within.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine553_soak_01.jpg   machine553_soak_02.jpg  
Old 01-05-2014, 02:12 PM

Default Part Two

To continue on with the experiment, the Singer 31-15 was positioned in the café tray.

Photo 3: The Singer 31-15 setting in the tray ready for spa treatment to the under surface.
Photo 4: Under surface treated. I made sure everything got wet, and I mean everything. The only reason that the entire patio didn’t get sprayed was that the trash bag could be held up around the machine to help capture the overspray.
Photo 5: Upper surface treated, with additional “prolonged squirt action” into the machine’s oil holes. (I didn’t hold back.)
Photo 6: Garbage bag closed up and secured with a Granny Knot to keep debris and moisture out during the treatment. (Note: the Granny Knot is used to assure that the knot can be untied later.)

Now, to let it soak. The weatherman isn’t helping much with all of this cold weather that most of us are receiving around the country, but oils still work in cold weather too, so I’ll just extend the soaking time by a few days.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine553_soak_03.jpg   machine553_soak_04.jpg   machine553_soak_05.jpg   machine553_soak_06.jpg  
Old 01-05-2014, 04:51 PM

If it turns pink and flies off, I want a case.

This is fun and interesting. Good luck!
Old 01-05-2014, 09:28 PM

I'm interested in what it does to the more fragile elements. Decals, plastics, wiring... Hope you keep us posted!
Old 01-06-2014, 05:31 AM

I'm not soaking the motor or wiring.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 01-06-2014, 06:00 AM

Interesting experiment. I have one of those sewing machine transporters also. But, it used to transport my mother. Good thing I kept it.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

Really interesting!
Old 01-06-2014, 07:28 AM

I like a mystery! Will subscribe to see how it turns out. Hahahaha
Old 01-06-2014, 12:52 PM

Can't wait to see how this turns out!!
Old 01-06-2014, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
To continue on with the experiment, the Singer 31-15 was positioned in the café tray.

Photo 3: The Singer 31-15 setting in the tray ready for spa treatment to the under surface.
Photo 4: Under surface treated. I made sure everything got wet, and I mean everything. The only reason that the entire patio didn’t get sprayed was that the trash bag could be held up around the machine to help capture the overspray.
Photo 5: Upper surface treated, with additional “prolonged squirt action” into the machine’s oil holes. (I didn’t hold back.)
Photo 6: Garbage bag closed up and secured with a Granny Knot to keep debris and moisture out during the treatment. (Note: the Granny Knot is used to assure that the knot can be untied later.)

Now, to let it soak. The weatherman isn’t helping much with all of this cold weather that most of us are receiving around the country, but oils still work in cold weather too, so I’ll just extend the soaking time by a few days.

CD in Oklahoma
how the spa treatment coming along CD ? it's quite cold here too with some sunshine (i'm not rubbing it in - ha ha ha). i know it's been crazy cold out there. stay warm guys.