Singer 31?

Old 01-11-2015, 07:48 AM

Default Singer 31?

Is this a Singer 31?

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/fuo/4841718921.html

Owner says it's electric, and runs by pushing the treadle. Can I just make it a treadle?

Not sure we can lift this. Thoughts? Cautions? Enabling?
Old 01-11-2015, 09:49 AM

It looks to be. It is in an industrial treadle stand and as long as the stand is complete - which it looks to be (make sure the pitman rod is there) you can treadle it just fine. You will probably have to buy some 3/8 inch leather treadle belting off of Ebay or use some other means of getting a belt for it. I would snag it in a heart beat.

There is no problem lifting it. The head will come right out of the base. If you are not going to be using the electric wiring and they are preventing you from getting it out of the base, cut them.

Last edited by Mitch's mom; 01-11-2015 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:55 AM

For $75, if it sews, I would buy it and figure everything else out later.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:12 AM

right for it looks like a 31 of some type. at 75 go buy it now do not wait.

Butt it is not a treadle. never go by the stand. at first visual on these look at the placement of the belt holes in the top. Those are towards the rear = elec. one hole forward and one at the rear or a long slot maybe be treadle. next check for the flywheel , I don't see a flywheel mounted. No a home type treadle flywheel will not fit, There mounting is about a 1/2 inch to narrow.. chances of ever geeting an industrial treadle flywheel well good luck on that. find me two.

still I'd be jumping up and standing on there door step
Old 01-11-2015, 11:15 AM

lifting is a piece of cake, take it apart
Old 01-11-2015, 11:25 AM

Okay, it's a 31-15. It really does run the motor from the treadle base by design. Does it really come apart? We're trying to find someone to move it.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:27 AM

$75? Grab the keys to the truck and never look back.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:29 AM

Here are photos I took.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]505636[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]505635[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 01-11-2015, 12:07 PM

31-15 is the best of the 31's there parts are as cheap as a home machine , yes the motor runs via that pedal, but thats not treadle.

no idea what you have to haul it in. the machine will just lift out of the table, after removing the belt,
if you are using a pickup, SUV hatch back, some car that the rear opens up and have two people or a hand truck. take screw driver of Philips and straight tip. small and big of each. large and small crescents

I would remove the bobbin winder, and that wooden peg behind the machine, grad twist and pull. tilt the table with the motor end down and onto the hand truck, hoping there's no strairs. at the car just tilt the table into the car table top down on the blankets you put down first and slide it in.

with the head remove , and you have to carry it the heavy end is the motor end.

a full tear down tilt with the motor down, remove screws holding the switch , wiring maybe the light ( don't see one ) bring tape or wire ties, bundle that up and hold together via the ties, There will be three large bolts holding the motor on and the pitman rod, remove the rod and nuts holding the motor, careful to support teh motor it can fall off. all that now comes off as a complete unit. maybe around 50+ lbs

table top you'll see four large wood screws at each corner, with those remove that top will come off. you have a top and stand, both those would fit the back seat of a honda or yugo.

weight wise, head and motor heaviest. top and stand are very close depending how thick that top is

I would take the top, lets say it needs no regluing , use actone and rags clean the top up. if you just use light wiping a decent wax will make it very smooth again.

I have done the two I use in polyurethane. makes for a very hard finish. you can toss tools all over the top and not scratch a thing ..set coffee cups down and never have to worry about water rings,

stop reading this and get over there . LOLOL
Old 01-11-2015, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxxx View Post
stop reading this and get over there . LOLOL
Thanks, everybody! I just thought it was too big to move and didn't realize it came apart. Then I read the messages and called the seller and went back. It's in the car - we're on the way home.

Meanwhile, the seller's brother came home and plugged it in and it runs fine, despite the scary cord.

I have an original manual for this at home - it was in another cabinet I bought.

Thanks again!