singer 328k

Old 11-09-2014, 08:35 PM

Default singer 328k

Anyone have one of these? I picked her up at a rummage sale - it was fill a bag for $1. She wouldn't fit in a bag but i still got her for $1! On the outside of the case it says works but needs adjustment. Not sure what they meant by that but I did a little test run at Mom's and she works. Purrs like a kitten! There was a "funky" attachment/foot with her , It looks like about 3-4 different ones on one? I think it might be some kind of ruffle foot or something along that line.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:57 PM

Ragqueen03, I have a 328K -- have had her since 1963 -- it was the first Christmas present from my husband after we were married in September. She's been a great machine and continues to sew well. I did not set out to collect sewing machines, but if my son keeps on, I will have more than I know what to do with! LOL! I can't imagine what type of "foot" or attachment was on her. Get us some pictures and some of us will know. If it's a ruffler, keep it. That one can be expensive to purchase! But then, you probably know more about that than I do!

The machine will serve you well -- she may be a little noisier than other machines, but she'll do a good job for you!

Jeanette
Old 11-10-2014, 12:01 AM

Thanks Jeanette! I already have three machines but i couldn't pass this one up. She does seem like she would be a good basic machine. Sometimes you just need a basic machine without all the fancy stitches and stuff, right? The funny part of this is just two nights prior to the rummage sale, my managers daughter asked me if i wanted to sell her one of my sewing machines. I laughed and said no but asked what type of machine she wanted - was she going to just do basic sewing or did she want to be able to quilt and so all kinds of fancy stuff. she just wants a machine to do some alterations on some of her clothes. Her family is from India and they have the most beautiful dresses. She didn't have time the last time she was over there to get hers altered. When I told her I bought one for $1 she didn't believe me! I am not going to sell/give this little beauty to her but I did tell her I would keep my eye out if I saw something.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:53 AM

Great find for $1!. If you post pictures of the feet we can tell you what you have.
Rodney
Old 11-10-2014, 03:24 AM

I will see if I can get someone to take a picture of the feet. I don't have a cell phone that lets me do that , believe it or not and dear hubby dropped the digital camera on the floor!
Old 11-10-2014, 04:05 AM
Power Poster

I like the 328s and 329s - simple, basic, easy to use and maintain. Some of them aren't all that noisy. I think you need to keep them clean.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:45 AM

My 328 is ugly as it came from FL and is suffering from acne. I'll get it the infected parts repainted in due time. It sews great, and is now in the blond cabinet that I got a couple years ago when visiting Miriam in Indy. They go together like a matched set.

Joe
Old 11-10-2014, 09:49 AM

Miriam, My machine isn't really all that noisy -- and I do keep her clean. I've just heard others say that their 328's were noisy. I don't usually take her completely apart, but I do keep her cleaned and lubricated well. I've been using her for more than 50 years now and I do mean using her, not abusing!

Jeanette
Old 11-10-2014, 01:42 PM

I have a 328k. I've been using it a lot, since I found this board and was complaining about my Babylock machine being in the shop and someone commented that I should buy an old vintage machine for a backup. I remembered that I had 2 vintage machines in my basement that I mistakenly thought were old and useless. I read here how to clean up old machines and to my surprise they both ran just fine after cleaning and oiling them and now I use them more than my newer machine. The stitches just seem much more secure on the older machines. I only had the zigzag cam but I found some others on Ebay along with an original manual.
If the funky foot you have came with the machine it should say on it somewhere what it's for. I have a bunch and they all say "Singer" and "Hemmer" or "Ruffle" on the foot itself.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:53 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
Miriam, My machine isn't really all that noisy -- and I do keep her clean. I've just heard others say that their 328's were noisy. I don't usually take her completely apart, but I do keep her cleaned and lubricated well. I've been using her for more than 50 years now and I do mean using her, not abusing!

Jeanette
That may well be the key to the noise