Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Singer 401 quilting?

Singer 401 quilting?

I have a Singer 401, as my one and only machine. It is great for sewing and piecing, but I have tried quilting, and the bobbing thread seems to tighten to the point that the fabric won't move anymore, until the bobbin thread snaps. Any advice? I've tried almost every combination of thread tensions, and I don't THINK it was the feed dog plate catching....

Maybe one of those universal screw-on cover-plates would work better than the built-in raised plate?

Thanks!
    Amanda

Didn't you read the response I left to your other posting? You need to have the correct foot for quilting or you will have problems.

are you sewing with the plate up ?

I couldn't get mine to FMQ well, either. Every time I moved the quilt to the left, the thread would break. And, like you, I tried everything.

I finally bought a Bernina Record 830 that I use exclusively for FMQing.

I do love my 401A for everything else, however. Been using it for 32 years now.

I have the embroidery foot, made of clear plastic, and sew with the plate up, but still no luck :-/ maybe it is time to upgrade....

401's are not the best choice for FMQ. The raised stitch plate is the biggest problem.