Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: singer 401A machine

Blog Entries

singer 401A machine

Yesterday while going through my parents' basement i saw what I thought was a desk but my sister told me it was a sewing machine that belonged to my grandmother. I took a piece of the top and lifted it to find a 401A singer. Mom told me I could have it if I wanted it. I like the idea that it looked like a desk but not sure if I can find room for it in my tiny house. But I think I am just going to have to make room at home for it! What do you think?

I think you need that machine. Imagine how much fun it will be knowing that you are sewing on the same machine that your grandmother used. I have a 503a and I absolutely love sewing on it - not the same machine but similar.

I have a 401 among others but I use the 401 for my daily sewing. take it you will love it.

You definitely must take that machine home with you. Not only was it your grandmothers but it is a great machine. I love mine.
    Kitsy

I really like my 401 as well--took a little elbow grease to get it moving, but it is a lovely machine

I got one recently at the thrift store and the wonderful members here helped me oil and lube her back into sewing shape. I just made a quilt top on her. Very nice machine. I would keep it if at all possible.
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    I am definitely going to take her home with me !!!!! Yea! i am limited on space in my little tiny house with a little tiny sewing room but I have decided I would put her in my sewing room and get rid of the sewing table I bought a few years ago at a yard sale. the sewing table I have now I will take to our little sewing group to use when we need extra tables so it alll works out. next I am trying to talk hubby into taking my sister's computer desk that she no longer wants. it looks like a big roll top desk that hides the computer and monitor when not in use. my house is definitely getting a facelift!

Congratulations, I'm glad you are taking your grandmother's machine home. Definitely a treasure.

Blog Entries
    You will not find a new machine from any company that can top that in quality built machine. It will do a lot of stitches, too. There is a lot of info on QB about those machines. If nothing else find someone who knows what they are doing to service the machine - you will like it a lot better and it will last longer.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

My 401A is my go-to machine. I've used it quite heavily for 33 years, still going strong!
    Cindy

Curator of an 1889 Singer model 27 Fiddlebase Treadle, a 1951 Singer Centennial Featherweight, a 1956 Singer 401A, and a 1982 Bernina 830 Record.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast