Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Singer 431G Help!

Blog Entries

Singer 431G Help!

Hi All,

pumped to try to fix this one. It was stiff but oil has made it smooth. I am stuck in the bobbin area. I moved the settings to AK and 3. The bobbin, I took out, and can't seem to stay secure...all loosey goosey. I am using the AK3 plate, and just trying to do SS.

The needle hit medal when going down....is that timing.

This machine is smooth running...I am just missing something small....I can feel it.

Slantomatics to the rescue.... Pls!!!!

First impression, you may have the wrong bobbin for it? Double check with suppliers and at least assess if it looks the same. Also try to "click" it in, sometimes if it doesn't click it's not really position properly. Pictures would help re: bobbin area. Good luck.

Hey Dan,

vanginney and I have been trading PMs back and forth. The timing is off on the machine. She got it closer, but not quite on as best I can tell. She did solve the bobbincase problem, it was a retaining system issue. At the time that I was helping, there was no bobbin involved yet. It's a needle strike on the bobbincase.

As an aside, I've begun writing that series of articles on timing on my site using the gifs that you sent me, I'd love any feedback to know if it makes sense to anyone other than me I'm beat from sliding an F350 (in 4x4 yet) around our streets today, so I'm hitting the sack early, but I hope to get the next installment in tomorrow.
    Tammi - I've found that many baby steps tend to get you further than a huge leap in followed by a huge leap out - http://www.archaicarcane.com
    Singer 411G, 301A, 2x 221 (featherweight), 222k - the holy grail, 99-, 15-90 Centennial, 27, VS2, 28 hc, 128 knee bar, 201-2, 31-15, Pfaff 130-6. Non-Vintage - Pfaff 6122, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81595 serger, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81155, 2013 APQS Lucey

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
    Hey Dan,

vanginney and I have been trading PMs back and forth. The timing is off on the machine. She got it closer, but not quite on as best I can tell. She did solve the bobbincase problem, it was a retaining system issue. At the time that I was helping, there was no bobbin involved yet. It's a needle strike on the bobbincase.

As an aside, I've begun writing that series of articles on timing on my site using the gifs that you sent me, I'd love any feedback to know if it makes sense to anyone other than me I'm beat from sliding an F350 (in 4x4 yet) around our streets today, so I'm hitting the sack early, but I hope to get the next installment in tomorrow.
    Well written so far. I had to learn timing by trial and error. Wish I would have seen your blog years ago... LOL
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

LOL! I learned it by trial and error too. Logic-ing it through to be able to write it though has really cemented the "why" of the whole thing. Thanks for the feedback!
    Tammi - I've found that many baby steps tend to get you further than a huge leap in followed by a huge leap out - http://www.archaicarcane.com
    Singer 411G, 301A, 2x 221 (featherweight), 222k - the holy grail, 99-, 15-90 Centennial, 27, VS2, 28 hc, 128 knee bar, 201-2, 31-15, Pfaff 130-6. Non-Vintage - Pfaff 6122, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81595 serger, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81155, 2013 APQS Lucey