Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Singer 500 -- HELP w/ hand-wheel??

Singer 500 -- HELP w/ hand-wheel??

Hello I have a really nice Singer 500 that I'm exploring. It sewed great until i had to wind a bobbin and the hand-wheel does not stop the needle from running. I have other singers like this so i know how to disengage for bobbin-winding but the hand-wheel turns and turns. I'm a little concerned bc i oiled everything before i started playing with it and i'm wondering if i may've put oil somewhere i shouldn't have? I guess I'd like to know if this is an $$ repair or something I can do myself? I am not wanting to spend $80 on it bc I have a fully functioning 500 already. I got great stitches from this one and its in nice condition otherwise. Any advice/help much appreciated!!

Mea
    mea

Mea,

T'm not sure if your hand wheel is the same as this one, but try Rain's great blog for a possible solution: http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2012/06/ho...om-moving.html

Shari

Quote Originally Posted by Mom3 View Post
    Mea,

T'm not sure if your hand wheel is the same as this one, but try Rain's great blog for a possible solution: http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2012/06/ho...om-moving.html

Shari
    I have found his blog so helpful. I haven't seen any new posts, lately, though...
    ~~Cathy~~

Shari, that is of huge benefit! Now if only i can find the screws that release the handwheel on the 500. its a bit different than the one in the tutorial but it sure sounds like the problem would be solved in the very same way!! Thanks so much for helping me!
    mea

mea12, I've posted a reply with a photo on the other thread you started. There are two handwheels on a 500 and you need to hold one steady while you turn the other to disengage the clutch.

Tate
    King of the Rocketeers!