Singer 500 question

Old 02-18-2015, 12:52 AM

Problem solved I think.

Day before yesterday I got the #1 500 out to compare it to the slow one, #2. It made a scraping noise as it ran (never did that before) but ran at it's normal speed. Some oil and grease cured that pretty quick.

I was going to switch controllers at Tammi's suggestion but decided to oil and grease the #2 machine first so I'd be comparing two freshly oiled machines.
After oiling the #2 machine, I planted my big toe on the controller button, and held it down as I listened and watched the speed increase. Somewhere in there it needed lubed.

I've been using Tri-Flow oil and grease on these machines, and as good as it is in getting sticky machines running, I'm not convinced it's great for machines that don't get a lot of use. Both of these machines had been serviced, used, then set back for a time as we used other machines.
It's almost as if something in the T-F is drying out and loosing it's lubricating ability.

Now both machines just need to be used.

Joe
Old 02-18-2015, 03:33 AM
Power Poster

Joe I would agree that the T-F kind of does dry out but I have also found that if I run the machine it will loosen up ok or if I re-oil with the T-F it isn't like cleaning up one with dried up other types of oil.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I was being a smart pants and Joe knows all about why I said what I did BUT I really do appreciate your lecture!!! There seem to be men and women on QB who think when a man says something it is more likely right than when a woman says something. And if you haven't read anything Tammi has written or watched her videos --- that gal knows her stuff and she can articulate. I'm really bummed that Kathy Nelson - Mizkaki has been run off the board by someone who called her a 'know it all'. She is the other person I like to quiz when I am stumped.
I wondered what happened to Cathy, I miss her. She was very good to me.
Skip
Old 02-18-2015, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
I wondered what happened to Cathy, I miss her. She was very good to me.
Skip
I'll second that.

Jon
Old 02-18-2015, 03:48 PM

I'm really sorry that Kathy was "run off the board". This is a loss to all of us on the board! I keep trying to soak up as much knowledge as I possibly can, but we can't afford to lose those whose experience has great value. I'm appalled that anyone made such a statement about Kathy!

Jeanette
Old 02-18-2015, 11:25 PM

I'm glad you liked the lecture, Miriam. You do know a lot about sewing machines!

Joe, Singer 401s are famous for "gunking up" if not run at least once a week. Since Singer 500s are so similar, I suspect that would apply to them, also.

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 02-18-2015 at 11:28 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:03 AM
Power Poster

I would say that almost any old machine likes to be run frequently. I think that may be why I like to find the beat up from use machines. I try to get Walter to turn the hand wheels on mine when he's over - keeps things moving anyway. Maybe keep his mitts off the tension dials, too.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I'm really bummed that Kathy Nelson - Mizkaki has been run off the board by someone who called her a 'know it all'. She is the other person I like to quiz when I am stumped.
I'm sorry about that too. The board is richer for having many people who know a lot and are interested in sharing with others. There will always be some people with mouths full of sour grapes. I wish they didn't have to spoil things for the rest of us.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:18 AM
Banned

I speak to Cathy on a regular basis (she was at my house last night) and she is doing well.

I do know that she did get frustrated with some stuff on the board. I will not try to speak for her on this, however I myself have noticed that there are some folks who tend to take the help and advice given here as though the giver has some obligation to do so. That including criticizing the help given, not acknowledging that the help was given, or even things like the above comment about being called a know-it-all for trying to help.

Cathy really DOES know a hell of a lot, and even more important, SHE is willing to admit when she does not know something and is willing to admit when she was wrong, which some folks are NOT so good at....
Old 02-19-2015, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

Well said, Steve. Tell Kathy Hi.