Singer 500's and 400's

Old 06-21-2014, 09:33 PM

Default Singer 500's and 400's

I've located two Singer Rocketeers near (sorta) me, one is a 500A, one is a 503. Both are the same price, the 500A is a bit further away. After some research, I understand that the main difference between the two machines is that the 503 needs cams for any special stitches, and the 500A does not. I like both of them for their design - that is what originally drew me to them.

Then I read about the 400's, which appear to be similar but I'm having trouble narrowing down the differences. Some say they are better built than the Rocketeers (and they do seem to be more expensive).

Because I already have a Featherweight and a Kenmore 158.1430, I'm looking more at the special stitches the 400's and 500's can do. Mainly the embroidery stitches. Depending on the cams you have, can you do things like lettering? Can you achieve anything like some of the fancier modern embroidery machines do? I'm new to machine embroidery so not too familiar with how all this works. I'd love to be able to do something cute like the embroider on these hot air balloons: http://katiesquiltingcorner.com/2014...oon-quilt.html Does anyone know if this would be possible on any of the Singer machines?

If the 400's are not far and away better than the 500's, I'm seriously thinking about getting one of these two Rocketeers I came across. Then I have to decide which one. The 500A is about an hour further for me. I sense because they don't use cams that they are worth a bit more - would it potentially be worth it to travel a little further for that one? Granted, I don't know either's condition, they seem ok, but we all know that's no indication.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:58 PM

I have had three or 4 401's, and my 500 is my better machine. I prefer it to any 400 series machine I've owned. I think the second thread arm was a significant help to the issues that the 400 series has with free motion quilting. The 400 series are known to have severe problems with free motion stitching. I would travel the extra distance or wait for a 500 vs. one that needs all the cams. You can embroider whatever you want. It's mainly the talent that drives the machine. Newer machines allow less experienced people to get great results, but I've seen amazing embroidery work and thread painting done with vintage machines.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:39 PM

Thanks! Good to know about the embroidery. I know the computers help thing along, but wasn't sure if the computer parts made the modern machines more capable.

I have been leaning towards the 500A - not sure if that one has the manual or any attachments, whereas the 503 does though. I'll find out more in a bit.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:33 AM
Power Poster

I'm a huge fan of the mechanical drop in cam machines whether Kenmore or Singer or what ever. I like my Singer 403 the best, then the Singer 503 - The Singer 401 and Singer 500 do have the built in stitch selection but you get more width control with the drop in disks. the 403/503 are simpler and easier to maintain. I prefer a wheel I can grab hold of when I hand turn. As far as which is better I've seen that it varies from one machine to another. The 500 and 503 are very kool to look at. The 401 and 500 are a lot of fun to play around with no matter what. I really don't think you can lose unless you get one that is all stuck up and not moving. You do want to have a full set of disks with the 403 and the 503.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:31 AM

I'm pretty sure you can use all the cams in the 401A and ignore the stitch settings if you wish. Disk 17 is the rarest cam.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:52 AM

Thanks! I did locate a free online manual for the 500A and 503 and they both give attention to applique so this machine may complete my trifecta (then when I win the lottery I can collect more machines and also buy the bigger house I will need for them )

The 500A manual does show lots of examples of Applique, though the basic stitches do seem to be the same as the 503 (http://www.sew-classic.com/uploads/S...500_part_B.pdf). The 503 doesn't show as many applique examples, but does mention free-motion (http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...ine-manual.pdf). I understand neither machine is great for FMQ, but what about FM applique?

I'm still having trouble discerning whether they are truly comparable in terms of number of types of stitches. Does the 500A with it's built-in stitches plus cams end up with more overall, or does being able to use cams + the 400/403 model cams basically even it out?
Old 06-22-2014, 07:26 AM

I'd go with the machine that had the built in stitches, since, as mentioned, you can still use the cams in them.

Personally, I prefer the styling of the 400 machines, and I don't care for the top door arrangement on the 500 machines.

The 401 manual has the same Applique information as the 500 manual.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Skylark53 View Post
I understand neither machine is great for FMQ, but what about FM applique?
Free motion anything is not this series of machine's strong suit. The drop in bobbin/horizontal bobbin assembly is not a favorite among quilters who need precise stitching and tension control. I would recommend you bring samples to test out the type of stitching you wish to do.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:57 AM

I have both the 401a and the 500a. I like them both. My wife stole the 401 from me so I mostly use my 500 but to be honest I can't tell a whole lot of difference in normal straight or ZZ stitching between them. I do not do FMQ so I'll leave that to Candace and others who do.
With my three machines, one 401 and two 500s I've done skads of patterns with both the built in cam stack and cams. We have almost all the cams ever made for these machines and I use them quite a bit.

Both the 401 and 500 are noiser than some other machines, but that is due to their all metal ( steel ) mechanical insides.
Nothing a drop or two of oil once in a while won't take care of.

Internally the 401 and 500s are pretty much identical. The cams are the same, the available patterns are the same, the selectors are the same, only the outer shell, hand wheel, and thread paths differ.

The only thing I can say is decide which one you like the best and then ....... um buy both. That's what we did.

Joe
Old 06-22-2014, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Skylark53 View Post
I'm still having trouble discerning whether they are truly comparable in terms of number of types of stitches. Does the 500A with it's built-in stitches plus cams end up with more overall, or does being able to use cams + the 400/403 model cams basically even it out?
IMHO The 401 stitches seem to do a lot of repeat. You can always buy all of the cams somewhere for the 401 or 500. Jenny at sew-classic has an article comparing the stitches: http://blog.sew-classic.com/2008/10/...ne-review.aspx To get more variety you might want to check out the old flat disks & a Singer 306 or a Singer 319 which not only uses the flat disks but can combine them with the built in disks.