Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Singer 533

Today I purchased a Singer 533. I found it on Craigslist for $35. I want a backup and let my 8 year-old daughter use it. There was not a manual with it and after I got home I realized that I had some questions. Can anyone help me out....

What kind of bobbin? My new Singer takes a 15J, would they be the same?
    What about the needle, are they universal for all Singers?
    There is a dial on the top that has "D" and then numbers 1-8. I think I read somewhere that the "D" is for darning and lowers the feed dogs and so it then can be used for FMQ (which I am just learning). Is this correct?

I downloaded a manual but it was only a parts diagram and part list. Any help would be great. Thanks!!!

Blog Entries
    Does this machine have cams that make the fancy stitches?

I don't think so, it only came with one foot and does straight stitch and 3 different zig-zag stitches.

I suspect that the dial on the top with D, 1-8 is to set the presser foot pressure, not to drop the feed dogs. You would put it on D for darning to make the pressure as low as possible. I can't help you with the bobbin size. I'd *guess* it uses a class 66 bobbin, but that's just a guess.

Thanks for the help. I just need to start playing with it.

try going to the singer website and asking for information about your newly aquired machine :D