Singer 56 cabinet ?

Old 06-13-2015, 11:49 AM

Default Singer 56 cabinet ?

A local resale shop has a Singer 56 cabinet for sale - it has been marked $35 in the past, and has been there 3 years. It is in decent shape, perhaps dry, some smallish water splotches on the top (2 or 3 about 4" across), and has the knee lever, but no stool. I probably would not refinish it.

http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...ny/56_cab.html

I would like it for my 301, which came without a cabinet but did have the cradle.

(I have the Singer cardtable but find there isn't enough table to the left of the machine to support even lap quilts as they grow.)

Is $35 reasonable or would you counter offer?

And, a question, as this cabinet does not have the swing out arm support, is sagging of the open lid an issue over time? I see the routered edge of the lid nests onto the routered edge of the cabinet top, but it doesn't look like much support to me.

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2015, 12:04 PM

I would offer $25 since it has been there so long, they probably would like to sell it. As for the the open lid, I have placed a piece of folded fabric in between the two pieces of wood if there is a bit of sag.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:10 PM

The one I had had the swing out support. Is it missing on that one?
They're nice cabinets. You can't buy the wood to make your own for $35, let alone the hinges and other hardware.
Find a new piece of furniture made of high quality solid walnut and walnut veneer and see how much that one costs.
Antique furniture or even good quality vintage is almost always a bargain compared to new.
If you like it, get it.
I think this ad has the arm in the back.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sing...item33a35bc9b9
Rodney
Old 06-13-2015, 12:12 PM

I forgot to add if you see someone selling a bunch of cabinet parts ask them about what you need even if it's not listed. They might have it.
Rodney
Old 06-13-2015, 12:23 PM

I used to have that cabinet & it should have the swing out arm. I'd buy one on ebay, if I were you. It's easy to put on....you'll find the screw holes under the top of the work surface.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:48 PM

I have that cabinet for my 15-91 and you do need the swing out arm to help support the lid. I found a cart to sit next to my machine that is close to the same height for the lid and put a couple magazines on it to bring it up to be level when I open the machine since some of my quilts seem quite heavy it was just extra support. (My machine and cabinet are now 65 years old and I didn't want to trust the arm alone.)
Old 06-13-2015, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I forgot to add if you see someone selling a bunch of cabinet parts ask them about what you need even if it's not listed. They might have it.
Rodney
I was recently told by a thrift shop manager that there is not enough room on the floor to put out all the cabinets & treadles they get. As Rodney said, ask if they have any not out for display.

As for the missing support, a spring loaded round curtain rod or shower curtain rod that can be screwed in or out can work until you install the missing parts.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:24 PM

Thanks, everyone. I didn't see the slot on the side for the swing out arm (my 401 desk it). I'll look again when I catch the shop open. The shop is right on my way to work, and it isn't open often. Thanks for the idea of a spring tension rod or cart - I've got something here that could be adapted - even a 2x4 cut to length with no-skid drawer liner padding should work. Parts online. Now why didn't I think of that?