Singer 603 with slant needle

Old 06-12-2011, 07:50 PM

Anyone have one or no much about them? Bought one and just curious if anyone could tell me if they like or dislike theirs.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:19 PM

Congrats on getting a 603! I have a Singer Slant-O-Matic 603 Special that my Mom bought in 1963. That's when it must have been made as the copyright date on the instruction manual is 1963. I learned how to sew on this machine and sometime in the late 1970s, my Mom gave it to me when she bought a newer model Singer. I am now 50 and am still using this machine. I love it. It is a workhorse of a machine. It has been to the "sewing machine hospital" a couple of times for adjustments and maintenance, but it has been a joy of a machine to work on. Use it and enjoy!!
Old 06-23-2011, 08:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Boscobd
Congrats on getting a 603! I have a Singer Slant-O-Matic 603 Special that my Mom bought in 1963. That's when it must have been made as the copyright date on the instruction manual is 1963. I learned how to sew on this machine and sometime in the late 1970s, my Mom gave it to me when she bought a newer model Singer. I am now 50 and am still using this machine. I love it. It is a workhorse of a machine. It has been to the "sewing machine hospital" a couple of times for adjustments and maintenance, but it has been a joy of a machine to work on. Use it and enjoy!!
The 300-500 series were the most popular and the 600's were kinda the same but different. Even though the cams look the same some of them were different and if you try to use them on the 400 and 500 series you will break the needle because it will swing out to far. But all in all they were good machines to own and I never heard anything bad about them. The last of the good Slant Shanks!!

Billy
Old 06-23-2011, 10:03 PM

i have my moms 1951 singer 403 slant-o-matic special. its serial number put it in the first numbers assigned to the new plant in NC when it opened in 1951. you had to sign up on a list to get anything made of metal back then. i would not trade her for anything. she will sew anything and can do embrodary and the cams let it do all kinds of special stitches. i dont need anything else. i do how ever have my baby FW which i do use for piecing. i also do quilting on the 403. i think you will fall in love and be so very glad you have her.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Country1
Anyone have one or no much about them? Bought one and just curious if anyone could tell me if they like or dislike theirs.
I don't know anything about this machine but do you know that there is a Yahoo group for Singer slant sewing machines? The name of the group is 'singerslantsewing'. You would be able to find out lots of info about the model that you have.