Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Singer 66-

Got this from my neighbor's estate sale.
    Attached Images Attached Images            

Blog Entries
    Looks like a work horse! Have fun with your new buddy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
    Very nice score I might add!!!! You have one of the tail end runs for the 66. It is a 66-18 with 15,000 of them allotted on February 14 1955!

1956 was the last year they were made so this has a historical significance in the collecting world for sure. Funny thing is the last allotment for the "AL" series were the Model 15's and the serials ended in AL999999. What I would give to find that machine!

Billy

ok, looked everything up I could find about it.
    Made on 2/14/1955
    Model 66
    15,000 made
    FactoryName: Elizabethport
    Elizabeth, New Jersey
    serial#AL957769

Paid $30

I just downloaded the manual...so now I'll clean it up and see if it works. If not, I can still use it in my sewing room for decoration.

Thank you for that information. I've never felt the need to have an old machine, but then I thought "what the heck" it's only $30 and it looks pretty....lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Very nice score I might add!!!! You have one of the tail end runs for the 66. It is a 66-18 with 15,000 of them allotted on February 14 1955!

1956 was the last year they were made so this has a historical significance in the collecting world for sure. Funny thing is the last allotment for the "AL" series were the Model 15's and the serials ended in AL999999. What I would give to find that machine!

Billy

Billy - you said 66-18...where is that listed? I always wondered where the dash and 2nd set of numbers came from?

Banned
    Billy - you said 66-18...where is that listed? I always wondered where the dash and 2nd set of numbers came from?
    The second set of numbers indicate the sub model of the machine. Every time the engineers made changes to the machine they added a number to the sub model to indicate the change. Some are very noticeable (like yours being a back tack machine) and some were very subtle and only the engineers knew what it was. Like a oiling hole was enlarged or the type of screw was changed things like that.

Billy

Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    The second set of numbers indicate the sub model of the machine. Every time the engineers made changes to the machine they added a number to the sub model to indicate the change. Some are very noticeable (like yours being a back tack machine) and some were very subtle and only the engineers knew what it was. Like a oiling hole was enlarged or the type of screw was changed things like that.

Billy
    Thanks alot!...

Very cool find!!!

Beautiful machine. Have fun with her.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast