Singer 66 rewire ??

Old 06-04-2014, 04:49 PM

Default Singer 66 rewire ??

I have a 66 that needs the cords replaced. It has separate power and foot pedal cords.
Can the machine be rewired to accept a dual cord?
Just wondered if it could be done.

My neighbor is taking it out of the table it came in and using the wood to make just a tray for it to sit in. It's easier for me to display that way. He had no idea that parts would still be available for these old machines. He was surprised that both vintage was still around and reproduction parts are still being made.

Last edited by joobee; 06-04-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:22 PM

Joobee,

Yes the wiring can be easily changed. The cabinet models use a hardwired cord to the controller. Simply remove the block from the end of the machine and remove the two wires that go to the controller. Make sure the other wires stay put and tighten the connectors back up.

At that point you can rewire your cord set appropriately or buy a replacement set. There are wiring diagrams on the internet on how to do the plug on the cord block. It's actually easy.

Joe
Old 06-05-2014, 10:11 AM

Thank you Joe, I will show this to hubby and he will get her fixed up for me!

Judy
Old 07-26-2015, 06:12 PM

Joe, I have a similar problem.
To move a model 66, I cut the wire that left the motor. As I recall there was a wire that went from the motor to the wall, and then the (metal off market) controller foot plugged into a three-prong outlet on the right side of the sewing machine.

I am trying to figure out how to re-wire the machine so it all goes through the controller foot or simply to add a new wire to the wall outlet.

This machine did not have the controller foot mounted inside the cabinet with a knee lever.

Any advice or parts sources, or links diagrams to view are appreciated.
This is a working woman repair, as there's no help around the house here.

Lisa
Old 07-27-2015, 04:59 AM

Lisa,

If you'd gone just a wee bit farther you would have noticed the cap screws on the back of the connector block. You could have then just unscrewed the wires rather than cutting them.

I have some diagrams on my hard drive I can email you. I can't post them here cos the forum admins consider them as copy righted and will delete my post. So if you want to PM me your email I'll send them to you.
Rewiring them is not hard.

If you can use aftermarket parts Sew-Classic has the wiring set ups for both portable and cabinet set ups. However if the wires from the motor to the connector block have been cut then you'll need to replace the motor wires too.

Joe
Old 07-27-2015, 01:50 PM

What Joe said. DH rewired my Redeye. A hand crank would also work. It bolts to the motor boss. Sew-Classic.com
has parts for the model 66. Jenny there is very helpful. A 66 can wear out several ladies since it is so well made and should be good into the next millenium with good care. They even have decals for the Redeye, but you may not like the price. Look at "Singer decals" on Ebay. Also check "Singer Sewing Machine parts" on Ebay.

Last edited by DonnaMiller; 07-27-2015 at 01:53 PM.