Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer Dressmaker Sewing Machine????????????????? >

Singer Dressmaker Sewing Machine?????????????????

Singer Dressmaker Sewing Machine?????????????????

Old 04-19-2014, 06:47 PM

Default Singer Dressmaker Sewing Machine?????????????????

Was there such a thing? I went to a quilt group today at the library and a lady who I believe to be in her 60s told me that she had her mother's Singer Dressmaker sewing machine and she let her grand daughter borrow it. The machine ended up broken and she didn't know what happened to it. She took it to a sewing machine repair man and he told her that he wouldn't charge her a service fee if she could tell him how on earth she broke it like that. She told him she didn't know what happened to it. She told me what he said was wrong with it and I told her it took a nose dive off a table and someone probably tried to catch it with the fabric under the presser foot. So he charged her a "big" service fee and told her it is not repairable. I have never heard of a Singer Dressmaker (but that doesn't mean anything) and I was going to look to see if there happened to be a doner machine since it was her mother's and she is keeping it because it was her mother's. Anyway, just curious...........was there such a creature? When I tried looking online I found conflicting views.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:50 PM

Oh, and don't ask how I know what happened to that machine.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:57 PM

I've seen machines badged as Dressmakers but I don't recall any Singers being called that.
Someone's going to ask. It might as well be me.
How do you know how the machine was broken?
Rodney
Old 04-19-2014, 08:13 PM

I believe they used to call the Singer 201 the "dressmaker" I know there are articles about that out on the web. I don't remember details or history of that. But google it and I bet it comes up.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:20 PM

Yep now I remember...on Sew Classic site: Check out the Sew Classic blog for in detail information on the 201. Back when it was introduced the Singer 201 was known as the "dressmaker's" machine and the 15-91 the "farmer's wife's" machine.
bummer anything got broken on it. Love the 201! That's why I never loan any of my vintage machines out.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:54 AM

I’ve also heard the Singer 201 referred to as a “Singer Dressmaker” by the ladies in my area.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 04-20-2014, 04:42 AM

Thank you!!! I will go check that out. Date wise that would make sense. I guess in my mind I was thinking a newer machine and that didn't make sense.

I had a Singer 237 that I paid $5 for at a thrift store. My foot got caught in the cord and it took a tumble off the table. The damage was similar, but mine didn't receive quite as extensive damage. Since I really liked the machine and the way it sewed, I got parts and fixed it back. Besides I felt bad. I certainly had other machines around here I could have used instead.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Prim Quilts View Post
....Singer 237 that....took a tumble off the table.
That can happen.

A friend’s Singer 401A “did a Peter Pan” off of her kitchen table a couple of years ago. We were able to replace the few broken parts from that tumble, but I had a Model A Bruce (Free SM Co) dive off of my air table onto the concrete floor in my Bike Shop and broke it’s deck. I haven’t tried fixing that one.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 04-20-2014, 06:58 AM

I know of a friend's sewing machine that took a tumble after her two cats had a major discussion behind it...it wasn't a solid metal machine like the ones we love...
Old 04-20-2014, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

I have a 401 I got cheap - either someone tried to force the stitch selector to move with a hammer or it took a dive. It needs serious internal surgery to transplant the stitch selector shaft and I need an assistant to help perform that one.