Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Singer Fashion Mate 257

Blog Entries

Singer Fashion Mate 257

My DH picked up this machine at an estate sale for $30. I have the Fashion Mate 237 and I really like it. I can't find much info on the internet about the 257. I do need a spool pin for it but other than that I think all needed parts are in tact. The case is in very nice shape. The top lid appears to be plastic but the machine is heavy and all internal parts appear to be metal. Does anyone have any opinions concerning this machine.
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image  Click to view large image  Click to view large image  Click to view large image 

I see those or similar machines from time to time but usually they're sitting next to a machine that I want more so I don't have one yet. I'm waiting to hear what others think about them too.
    Rodney

I didn't mention: That machine looks brand new. Nice find, most I've seen have chips out of the paint or other cosmetic issues.
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

Blog Entries
    I was doing a little sewing on this machine and it seems like the foot sits a little crooked on the feed dogs. Is there a way to straighten the needle bar on this machine.

Blog Entries
    Undo it and give it a turn. If it drops you will have to re-time the machine though.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Undo it and give it a turn. If it drops you will have to re-time the machine though.
    She probably meant the presser bar.
    Mark

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mlmack View Post
    She probably meant the presser bar.
    Oh yeah duh. If you undo it you might have to mess with the spring. Always something.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

I have a Singer FM 362 that looks very similar, mine has a knob where yours has a lever. I like mine. I took the motor off and treadle it. It sews very well except it does not like going through thick seams. Not sure if that is a problem w/all these types of machines or just mine. I found mine at Goodwill several years ago for $7. I like the color of yours better, and the reverse...mine has a button to push which can be tricky when you need to spin the hand wheel and reverse at the same time. The feed dogs do not drop. There is a funny looking little piece that slides under the plate to raise it above the feed dogs. I think you will like this machine.

Jp

Plastic gears and innards?

Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Plastic gears and innards?
    Yep, mine does anyway. I just expect it to wear out one day!

Jp