Singer Featherweight machines

Old 08-10-2015, 04:48 AM

...interesting..I tried two yrs ago to sell the one I have...no takers...maybe I'll try again this year......
Old 08-10-2015, 04:49 AM

I gave $200.00 for one 15 years ago and my brother found one in a antique/junk shop in March that I purchased for the amazing price of $24.95. The handle on the case is broken, but it is in fantastic shape. I went to look at one over an hours drive from me last week for $75.00 and I wouldn't have given $20.00 for it for parts. You just never know.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by sully2 View Post
Where is the best place to find these Singer Featherweight machines? Is the model 221 the lightest in weight?
I bought mine from a dealer on Ebay and was very, very happy with the process. Including shipping my cost came to $225. The machine was in great shape mechanically as well as cosmetically as was it's box (although there was an odor which is common) six bobbins, manual, and many feet. The seller packed it for shipping with great care and I could not have been happier. This was two-three years ago. Love the Featherweight!! Her name is Laura Leigh and was 'born' in 1941.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:41 AM

Excellent statement. To me, my FW 221 is priceless, but on the market it would be seen as scratched, well used, and maybe just worth scrap iron and foolish for me to even think of selling. I saw one on ebay that appeared to have been run over by a Mac truck and they wanted $350. It need a lot of parts, paint and a lot of love.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:25 PM

There's an estate auction website that operates near me. I have seen about a dozen come and go and lately they have been under $150.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:25 PM

I bought my first FW from the owner of my LQS for $250.00. It is a 1948, definitely used, but not abused. I was thrilled with the price, as the machines I had seen from a dealer at a show were quite a bit more expensive. To be fair, the dealer's machines had been professionally serviced prior to sale. The machine I bought runs beautifully, but had not been serviced for many years.
About 2 months after I bought my first FW I almost literally tripped over a second FW at a yard sale where everything looked as if it came out of a tool shed, not a sewing room. Actually, there was quite a bit of sawdust in the case, maybe some misguided person was storing it in a tool shed! After checking for a bobbin case and plugging it in to see if it ran I quickly paid the $35 it was marked and got out of dodge before anyone thought better of it. I cleaned it up at home, it runs beautifully and now resides at my daughter's house.

If I were still looking for another FW I would be checking thrift shops, antique shops and Craigslist. Local is the key - I would want to look at the machine, make sure it runs, has a bobbin case, etc. I would avoid Ebay at all costs, as I would not necessarily trust the seller to pack it properly for safe shipping.

You will find your FW, perhaps when you least expect it.

Happy Searching!
Old 08-11-2015, 03:58 AM

I luck out on a white one two years ago at an estate sale for $30 and had an repairman clean/service it for $35 so I got a great deal...then sold it for $150....I know, I know it's worth way more but I'm not out for being overly excessive seller since I knew the person would use and enjoy it. The tan ones are worth more than black or white one but not as much as the 222's. Here where I live is hard to find one but early this year I managed to find one in a table!! It had the case also, not beautiful but works great and after a little bit of haggling, got it for $75 from the flea market. Did buy one a few years ago for 200 on eBay..that's my favorite as it was made the year I was born.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:29 AM

Some of these go for crazy money on ebay

here's one that sold for 3600

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Singer-Wrink...p2047675.l2557

another that sold for 2300

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Singer-222-K...p2047675.l2557

What makes these machines so expensive?
Old 08-11-2015, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by scorpius View Post
They are cute, lightweight, and they sew an absolutely lovely stitch. I love mine. I pick them up whenever I can find them for around $100. And, I do find them..... usually at estate sales. I've gotten 1 at auction and 2 on craigslist. I currently have 6..... no I'm not ready to sell. I have two for myself (one at the cabin), 2 for my sweet DGGDs when they get old enough for them, one white one that I haven't cleaned up yet, and 1 extra. You never know when something might happen and I'd need that extra one.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by scorpius View Post

The crinkle finish FW is the rarest of the 221s, it always sells for much more than the others, though I think this is the highest I've ever seen one go for.

The 222 is the free arm version, while it's not rare there are certainly fewer of them than the 221s. And it had the Swiss zig zagger with it, which is also not a common item.

Cari