Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer Featherweight tension issue solved >

Singer Featherweight tension issue solved

Singer Featherweight tension issue solved

Old 12-29-2014, 08:25 AM

Lightbulb Singer Featherweight tension issue solved

I recently changed the bobbin in my Featherweight. I immediately had problems with the tension. I made numerous adjustments to both the top and the bobbin tension to no avail. Once I stitched a test seam, I examine the stitches. Then I tug on one of the thread tails. Regardless of how the stitches looked, when I tugged on the thread tail, the thread just pulled out of the fabric.

I took the bobbin case out of the machine and examined it and the bobbin. I noticed that the bobbin (which came with the machine when I purchased it) appeared to sit a tiny smidgen higher than the bobbin case. I replaced the bobbin with one I had bought from Sew Classic.

I started sewing and the tension was perfect. I have decided to throw away all of the 'old' bobbins that came with my machine - since they don't seem to fit quite right.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:36 AM

The featherweight is an awesome little machine,but they can be a little bit twitchy. Lol. The bobbins are very short in comparison to other bobbins. As you have found out. I have found that if everything is in place and all the right parts are there, it runs beautifully. If not, well you know. I bought one without a bobbin case and bought a new one off of eBay. It never ran right, until I bought an authentic case. Have fun with it. Congratulations for finding the problem.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

I had a bobbin case that would not stay on the machine no matter what bobbin I put in it. It turns out someone had put a little plastic ring in there and it made the bobbins stick out too far. I've had bobbins that had burrs on them - brand new bobbins with burrs. I've seen rusty bobbins. I've seen bent bobbins. Worn plastic bobbins. I would not toss out all old bobbins with out looking them over to be sure they are ok. They just aren't making them like they used to.