Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Singer Futura II, Now I Understand

Blog Entries

Singer Futura II, Now I Understand

I responded to a 2Good2Toss posting for a free sewing machine. Now I am wiser. These are the rubber coated feed dogs folks were talking about! When I went to clean out the lint, some of it came off with the solidified fluff.

Has anyone tried Plasticoat-Dip on these feed-dogs? It goes on thick, but it could be pared down to size or thinned before application.
    Annette

There is no fireside like your own fireside.

Blog Entries
    I have one of these, never tried to quilt on it tho. Don't know what it would do.

Blog Entries
    I have a table for one - no machine - too bad you live so far away. Table is taking up space... Don't know about the feet. It might be worth a try to use that stuff - what is there to loose?
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by redbugsullivan View Post
    I responded to a 2Good2Toss posting for a free sewing machine. Now I am wiser. These are the rubber coated feed dogs folks were talking about! When I went to clean out the lint, some of it came off with the solidified fluff.

Has anyone tried Plasticoat-Dip on these feed-dogs? It goes on thick, but it could be pared down to size or thinned before application.
    I have one of these machines and had to replace the coated feed dogs a few times. I was getting frustrated with finding the black plasticy-rubber in my seams! Went to the local Singer store and they now have another all metal feed dog that fits! They were under $50 and sure were worth every penny! I, too, am getting rid of my Futura, but the new owner won't have to worry about that frustration! LOL
    http://www.appalachianquilts.blogspot.com
    http://www.quiltweb.net

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have one of theses machines and have replaced the rubber coated feed dogs once. Thanks for the info about the one available from singer.
    Quilting is an addiction that you can be proud of and enjoy.
    Elna TSP,Kenmore,Singer Futura,Singer Red Eye x2,Singer 66,White Rotary Treadles x2, Montgomery Wards, Janome 10000,Singer 201-2 1947,Juki serger, Black 1947 Featherweight. Singer 301a 1951, Parlor Cabinet Treadle w/ White.
    Deb

What were they thinking!

I love how the rubber-coated feet handle chiffon and satin and other slippery fabric. Replacing them is $20 a pop, but you don't have to do that very often.

Terry at TnT knows all the vintage Singer slants better than anyone I can think of - if you need anything for your 400, 500, 600, 700 series or later machines, he's probably got it and he's fast and easy to deal with, too. He's written his own repair manuals that are absolutely incredible. Here's his Futura page: http://tandtrepair.com/Futura.html