The Singer That Got Away....

Old 12-14-2013, 10:48 AM

Default The Singer That Got Away....

hi all,
this is totally bad - my addiction is going at a high level now. should i blame you guys (LOL). anyway all i ever do now is check my CL local listings and will even go as far as Sacramento and Los Angeles. i inquired about this singer sewing machine model 13 listed in CL Sacramento (about an hour drive). the machine is in pretty good condition with table and all but i was a tad late in inquiring as it was already sold for it's asking price of $150. this would have been a nice addition (or not) to my just started collection of antique singers. hopefully someone from this forum who is in the Bay Area also got this. maybe SteveH bought it as he's he antique guru. paging SteveH !
Attached Thumbnails singer-sewing-machine-13.png  

Last edited by vmaniqui; 12-14-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:14 PM

It is a very nice looking machine, but is a bit over what I would typically pay for a vintage machine.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by jlm5419 View Post
It is a very nice looking machine, but is a bit over what I would typically pay for a vintage machine.
Thanks. Now I feel better as I offered $100 and he said it got sold for $150 (asking price).
Old 12-14-2013, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by vmaniqui View Post
....this is totally bad - my addiction is going at a high level now. ....all i ever do now is check my CL local listings and will even go as far as Sacramento and Los Angeles. .....(about an hour drive).
Naw. You don’t have it bad yet. You’re just getting started.

I’ve bought and picked up several machines in the Dallas area (3 hours - 200 miles away), and I’ve delivered (Pony Expressed) machines to the Dallas area many times. My longest run yet was when I picked one up in Phoenix AZ (14 1/2 hours - 950 miles away),....and on the return, I went up through Southern Colorado to pick up another machine....

You’ll get to where the words “ROAD TRIP!!!!” take on a whole new meaning......yea, it gets that bad......

CD in Oklahoma
Old 12-14-2013, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
Naw. You don’t have it bad yet. You’re just getting started.

I’ve bought and picked up several machines in the Dallas area (3 hours - 200 miles away), and I’ve delivered (Pony Expressed) machines to the Dallas area many times. My longest run yet was when I picked one up in Phoenix AZ (14 1/2 hours - 950 miles away),....and on the return, I went up through Southern Colorado to pick up another machine....

You’ll get to where the words “ROAD TRIP!!!!” take on a whole new meaning......yea, it gets that bad......

CD in Oklahoma
if we're in the same area would love to tag along with you as i love long driving. i guess i am really not that bad yet as i look at 6.5 hours a really long ways to go for a sewing machine. but man, you got it real bad or just hard core (14-1/2 hours) must be a really nice machine. don't worry i will for sure get there... thanks.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:10 PM

I too am a CL addict looking for machines. The problem with my area is that everyone thinks they can get $300 for a machine that has not been serviced or reworked. I have told a few that I would purchase for a lower price or purchase to a high price for a serviced machine but I have not had takers. I've even explained why quilters want them but, no luck.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by vmaniqui View Post
....you got it real bad or just hard core (14-1/2 hours) must be a really nice machine.
In 2008, a Singer 29K70 with treadle stand, in operating condition, for $75.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 12-14-2013, 03:35 PM

What’s ironic, is that the most that I’ve ever spent for a single vintage sewing machine (so far) was for one just two doors down the street from my house in a neighbor’s garage. (I figured that I could spend more for the machine since the shipping was negligible....).

Of course, you can’t consider the cost of a 2500-mile road trip for two people and a gas-guzzler vehicle as part of the cost of the machine, can you? Nupe, nupe!

CD in Oklahoma
Old 12-14-2013, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
In 2008, a Singer 29K70 with treadle stand, in operating condition, for $75.

CD in Oklahoma
there is one for sale in my area, a Singer 29K70, for $150 and i bargained for $100 but have not heard from the guy.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:57 AM

I've driven about 3 hours one way to pick up a machine mainly to use for parts; haven't made it to CD's neck of the woods yet. He's a "tad bit" farther away and almost across the state for me. Haven't been down in his area since my college days at OU.....
However, he is easy to visit by USPS