Singer industrial 241-12

Old 05-19-2014, 02:56 PM

Default Singer industrial 241-12

A friend's mother died and her son wants to sell her machine. It's sits in the industrial table that came with it. The Serial number is AH947726 and was built in 1948. It looks new except for some ware on the base of the throat. He says it has forward and reverse and the feed dogs lower. Do any of you know what a good price would be for him to ask? He lives about 30 miles east of Dallas, Texas.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:12 PM
Banned

Feed Dogs do drop, NO reverse.

Price is SO hard to say really really...
I have seen these LIST for $800-$1200 but I do not think they sell at that price.

FYI - I paid $100 for my complete unit. Mine is about 6 years older than his, but it is THE fastest and most powerful machine in the house. I have personally sewn through 16 layers of Canvas on this beast.

link to the manual
http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/241.pdf
Old 05-19-2014, 03:19 PM
Power Poster

I have one of those, too. I've tried multiple times to sell it on CL for about what Steve is saying - when they figure out the stitch length only goes so far it makes it hard to sew on leather. It seems like everybody equates industrial machine or old machine with sewing on leather. Is there that much demand? The one I have is in VERY nice shape - never used in a factory - some lady who made draperies had it. That isn't the issue - there just isn't a lot of demand for industrial machines these days. 15 years ago was a different story.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
..... - there just isn't a lot of demand for industrial machines these days.....
Industrial FABRIC sewing machines, not so much of a demand. The garment industry moved out (off shore) years ago and left the older models behind.

Industrial LEATHER sewing machines (walking foot) are still in demand and bring high prices. Even the really, really OLD ones.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 05-19-2014, 03:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
- when they figure out the stitch length only goes so far it makes it hard to sew on leather.
Have not seen this issue on mine. Sews Leather great.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]476130[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2014-04-24-21.23.31.jpg  
Old 05-19-2014, 03:50 PM

Miriam will correct me if I'm speaking out of turn, but typically when you sew on leather you want the stitch length longer than most other sewing projects. It's kind of hard to see yours, but I'd say even longer than your stitch length pictured. So, I understand what she's saying about people not wanting this particular model for leather. I'm taking a leather sewing class right now and the teacher says the closer the stitch, the more perforations and it causes the leather to weaken and the seam to weaken. Too close and the leather will actually rip or fall right off at the seam.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
... the closer the stitch, the more perforations and it causes the leather to weaken and the seam to weaken. Too close and the leather will actually rip or fall right off at the seam.
100% correct. these stitches are about 1/16" could have been bigger but the leather is pretty tough. If I was sewing thinner leather I would want about 2x the stitch length. This was NOT set t max, just set where we had it at the time.

This was a rushed "oh,. while I am here can you" type thing.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:30 PM

Thanks so much for your replies. I will pass this info on to him.