Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer Industrial Machine Model #24 Question >

Singer Industrial Machine Model #24 Question

Singer Industrial Machine Model #24 Question

Old 04-29-2014, 02:38 PM

Default Singer Industrial Machine Model #24 Question

We are still working on this unique Singer Industrial Machine and today we got the belt from sew classic and after my husband got it on it seems like the treadle will only go backwards. So he got down to take a look and sure enough there is a ball in the belt pathway. It seems the ball goes into the dip in the wheel when the machine is treadling backwards but it completely stops when you try to treadle forward like the regular treadle machines. Does anyone know if this machine only treadles backward. He has to tighten the belt a little more before I can tell if the backwards treadling will turn the wheel. Just wondering if anyone of this board has any knowledge about this machine. I know the cabinet would have been much nicer if the original owner had not painted it white but that is the way it came to us and I don't believe we could have stripped all of the white paint off so we just left it.
Attached Thumbnails singer-hatter-ball-treadle-belt-path.jpg   singer-hatter-machine.jpg  
Old 04-29-2014, 02:39 PM

I am also looking for a threading diagram for this machine. Maybe someone has some ideas on that also.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Blackberry View Post
I am also looking for a threading diagram for this machine. Maybe someone has some ideas on that also.
What version of the 24 is it? By a funny coincidence I was just looking them up (because of a recommendation on the yahoo group) on ISMACS there is a huge variation in what they did and some didn't stitch at all.
Have you tried Singer for a manual? They have one for an industrial single needle version. Doesn't look exactly like yours, but you might get something useful out of it.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:09 PM

It looks like a singer 24-50, If you take a pic of the other side of the machine I can tell for sure. I take it back it is not a 24-50 Sorry. I do have a manual for a 24-50.

Last edited by Glenn; 04-29-2014 at 04:11 PM. Reason: wrong machine
Old 04-30-2014, 05:09 AM

Location: San Isidro de San Ramon, Costa Rica & Calgary, Canada

Is the machine original to this cabinet. If it isn't, the treadle and the machine may be a mismatch. If it is a true industrial machine it may rotate in the opposite direction to home machines. This answer is from my husband who has been a sewing machine mechanic for over 50 years.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:28 AM

looks like the Singer logo on the leg of the treadle -
I did some searching and found a picture with a domestic treadle cabinet (sales brouchure) and you can see the same bump in the flywheel cover for the ball that yours has.

If this one does go "backwards" from most Singers, they may have done that to keep people from running it the way they normally run a Singer. BTW - according to Sewalot - there wasn't any real difference between the machine sold for domestic use and the one sold for industrial use -unless you got a special purpose one for ruffling, or tucking or something like that.

Also - this is very much a copy of the W&G design, I checked my W&G and it rotates opposite of the Singer - so I bet that is the answer, this Singer 24 rotates opposite of other Singers.

Last edited by Macybaby; 04-30-2014 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
(Singer 24).....If this one does go "backwards" from most Singers.....
This conversation has been in the back of my mind since Macybaby mentioned it, and didn’t know which way mine turned, but since we’ve done some shuffling around in the sewing room (our entire home is our “sewing room”) and I’m now able to reach the shelf that our Singer 24-50 is on, I decided that it was a good time to check the rotation of the balance wheel while I had it down to dust both it and the shelf.

The hand wheel on the Singer 24-50 that we have must be turned opposite of most common Singer machines, to make the feeddogs feed correctly. I’ll be durned!!! I never would have guessed.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine185_01.jpg  

Last edited by ThayerRags; 05-03-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:16 PM

OH GOODIE, I be smarterer again . I was under the mistaken idea that only the Singer 9W-7 rotated opposite normal Singers. Now I know better. WHOO HoO!

Joe
Old 06-11-2020, 03:22 PM

Has anyone figured out the exact variation of this model 24? I just brought home the same model. It is very similar to the 24-50 except this model has the thread take-up incorporated into the top of the needle bar just like the wilcox and gibbs. the singer 24-50 has a take up arm on the face. The manual for the model 24 available at singer.com is for the manual tension version. This one has an automatic tension. A manual or threading diagram would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-11-2020, 04:50 PM

Here is a picture of the Singer model 24 thread take up.

Attached Thumbnails singer24takeup.jpg