Singer machine help

Old 10-19-2013, 07:35 AM

Default Singer machine help

I have an expensive Singer machine I originally bought for my granddaughter. It works fine for piecing for me and I use it all the time. After about a year, I thought it would need cleaning and oiling, but the book had not instructions on them. I emailed the company, with the model number and name. I few days later, they responded and told me how to clean and oil it. I followed their instructions and boy, does that make a difference!. One thing I would recommend is that you sew a few lines on scraps to get any excess oil out of the thread area.

Singer was responsive and I was happy I bought this one - although I really would like a Janome.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:25 AM

Regular cleaning and lubricating is always a good thing.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:23 PM

Most current manufacturers want you to take the machine to their service depts. That way they can break it, then tell you it can't be fixed and try to scam you into buying a new, better, MUCH MORE expensive version.

Please pardon the sarcasm.

I'm glad to hear Singer sent you service instructions. It's good to know they'll do that. They used to put cleaning and oiling instructions in the owners manuals, now all you get is legal mumbo jumbo, a few pages of user instructions, and two pages on how to plug it in to the wall socket ...... In 43 different languages.

Joe
Old 10-20-2013, 06:39 AM

You need a vacation.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:39 AM

Very funny, Joe...hahahaha

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Most current manufacturers want you to take the machine to their service depts. That way they can break it, then tell you it can't be fixed and try to scam you into buying a new, better, MUCH MORE expensive version.

I'm glad to hear Singer sent you service instructions. It's good to know they'll do that. They used to put cleaning and oiling instructions in the owners manuals, now all you get is legal mumbo jumbo, a few pages of user instructions, and two pages on how to plug it in to the wall socket ...... In 43 different languages.

Joe
Old 10-20-2013, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post

Joe
I must have the wrong manuals then. Most of mine are American English only. But I do agree with your general assessment.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by OrangeSherbet View Post
You need a vacation.
He just had one... kind of (sorry Joe, I know you were sick).

I'm actually wondering what model this Singer is. Very expensive, in this forum, suggests a featherweight, and different people think different things when they read "vintage". Jakers1, what model is it? If it has four digits, it ain't old enough
Also, you want a Janome after using a vintage Singer? Still thinking it's not old enough