Singer model 27 "Ella"

Old 02-16-2014, 02:55 PM

Default Singer model 27 "Ella"

I decided to start a new thread regarding Ella, the Singer treadle machine that Kayluvstoquilt gave to me.
I'll be posting all questions and progress on her here from now on.
First thing is the serial #. I'll freely admit to having very little experience in this area but she has the smallest serial # on a Singer I've seen so far. If I'm reading it correctly, it's D6145. I didn't know Singer dropped the zeros on low numbers. Anyway, according to ISMACS that means Ella is one of 15000 Singer model 27s that were allocated for production on January 1, 1908. That would make Ella the oldest machine in my "collection".
I also have questions about a couple of the attachments that came with the machine but that's going to have to wait until I get new batteries in our camera.
Rodney
Old 02-16-2014, 04:04 PM

Rodney,

That's very interesting. To my knowledge Singer serial numbers were never less than 6 digits when following one or two letters. Possibly someone else can enlighten us on this subject. CD?

Cathy

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
First thing is the serial #. I'll freely admit to having very little experience in this area but she has the smallest serial # on a Singer I've seen so far. If I'm reading it correctly, it's D6145. I didn't know Singer dropped the zeros on low numbers. Rodney
Old 02-16-2014, 04:51 PM

This isn't the first time I've read a serial # wrong. Probably won't be the last either. I got a stronger light and took a better look. The real# is D614590. It's still a model 27 but the allocation date is now December 2, 1908.
Sorry for the mistake and bad eyesight.
Rodney
Old 02-16-2014, 05:26 PM

I'm gonna guess your two questionable attachments are the underbraider and the shirr plate. The problem with Singer's instructions, they don't actually show these two - because in the drawing showing them in use - they are UNDER the fabric. There are several styles of them though, so it will be fun to see which ones you have.

BTW - my 1907 attachment manual shows the style with the molded tray like what is attached to that drawer front.

This is the set that goes with it- but there are several variations. If you have this particular set, then it is likely that cabinet had the tray with the molded insert.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:24 PM

Macybaby, my set isn't nearly as complete.
It was the underbraider and shirr plate that I had questions on. My set has the same ruffler, shirr plate, underbraider and pintucker that you show. It also has a 2 pc. binder that needs the screw, the scissor guide, fabric guide and quilting bar.
It came with a small hemmer foot and a large one but they're different than your set. How do you attach and use your style hemmer and binders?
Rodney
Old 02-16-2014, 07:44 PM

This style has one foot (upper right above the needle case and below the quilt guide) that attaches to the machine - and these slide into it. This is a much less common set, most are the more typical where each can be attached to the machine by themselves.

I have this set for the 66 back clamp and the 27. I would expect there is a set made for the 15.

While the tucker and ruffler were used with other sets, including the later puzzle boxes, this particular type of underbraider and shirr plate - I've only seen in this type of set with the separate attachment foot. The more typical puzzle box shirr and underbraider are sort of similar in shape, but are much "plainer" looking than these.

There are a lot of variatoins in attachment sets in the earlier years, but not so much in later years.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:14 PM

Thank you, I just took another look and gave the large hemmer foot a good hard tug. It's the same as yours. It's two pieces. Cool!
My quilting bar is similar to the one on the upper right but doesn't have a screw. It looks less substantial and appears to be a friction fit for adjusting it.
What is the other bar in the lower right of your picture? It looks like it attaches like the hemmer feet.
Rodney
Old 02-17-2014, 04:17 AM

I have two quilting guides - the lower one clips into the foot like the hemmers. Interestingly- they Singer attachment manual show the upper type - and if you get the screw, it tightens down on the bar, so it won't move around on you.

This is the same style guide that came in Puzzle boxes, so there may be variations on it. The one in my picture is from a puzzle box, so maybe the one sent with the set (being newer) is a bit lighter weight.

The set that goes with the 66 has a different tucker and ruffler, so I figure that different quilt guide is more in line with what goes with the 66 than the 27.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:03 PM

Hi Rodney,
Do you or any one you know work on featherweight machines. My motor runs until you put a load on it. I would like to get it fixed.
Thanks,
Judy
PS I don't know how this works so my email is: jmsmbj@Comcast,net
Old 02-17-2014, 10:46 PM

Judy, I'm sorry but I haven't been inside one of these motors yet. If you start a new thread for your motor question there are some people here that can most likely tell you what's going on with it. One possibility I can think of is it needs new brushes. If they're worn out you might get that sort of issue.
Rodney