Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Singer Model 6212C froze, help unfreezeing the machine

Singer Model 6212C froze, help unfreezeing the machine

I recently recieved a Singer 6212C Singer Sewing machine. it is froze up and will not sew. The power works, can not turn wheel with hand it takes 2 to turn it. I have oiled it really well and have let it sit for awhile. Can anybody give me any suggestions how to get the hand wheel to turn. Or where I need to oil it. Or what oil to use to loosen it up. Thanks.

With a machine of this vintage a lack of oil may not be the problem.
    If this machine has a removable top, remove it. Remove the face plate too.
    If it can be turned it doesn't seem to me it's locked from lack of oil.

Check everywhere for thread wound up in the mechanism.
    >Especially under the face plate in the thread take up lever parts
    >Over, under, around and through the bobbin area, pay careful attention to under the hook
    >Pull the hand wheel and check out around it

I've had several machines come to me with thread wrapped around parts. In two cases the machine was totally immobile because of it.

Joe

Blog Entries
    This one may need a repair man/woman. The gears are likely nylon or plastic and may be worn.

If the gears are only "worn" they won't prevent the entire machine from turning. The timing and stitching will be affected and that can be seen on your sewing projects.

If the gears that drive the bobbin are broken everything else will turn, but the bobbin won't.
    If the gears that drive the feed dog are broken then only the feed dogs stop.

Broken gears won't jam up the main shaft unless the debris gets between something and stops it.

dolores,

Perhaps you could set it out in the sun to thaw out ..... . That's a sorta kinda joke. If it is old oil then heat can soften it and the machine will turn. If it don't then I still vote for thread jamming things up.

Joe

I had a Singer 6212C and it was a horrible machine, it finally died 2 years later from broken top and bottom gears. Even before things were totally broken it wouldn't sew properly.
    I was thrilled when it died, I bought a lovely Bernina 1031 and she's still sewing and has never given a bit of trouble. I have had my 1031 for 20 years.
    Sharon

Joe is pretty sharp on these old machines, having had a lot of practice. I just got a Singer Red Eye in a bentwood case and can't wait to work on it. It is in good shape and has the cotton wrapped cord. DH will need to rewire it as it has a kink where the case rubs on the end. Otherwise it is pretty sound. Isn't it fun to rescue old machines?

Blog Entries
    If it is dead save parts: foot controls, accessories, bobbins, bobbin case, slide plate - anything that comes off - never know when someone could use the parts.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill