Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Singer needles

Singer needles

I've read to not use Singer brand needles in my Bernina 440 because they are slightly longer. Is it okay to use Schmetz needles in Singer Feather Weights and model 66's?

Yes, you can use the Schmetz needles in the FWs and 66s. They work quite well actually.

Joe

Joe is correct. My singer FW repairperson says Schmetz are greg and work perfectly in all old Singers. He said they are better quality than the Singer needles.

Schmetz needles are my needles of choice. I am thinking that the Singer needles are made in China now and are not of the same quality as Schmetz.
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    Where can I find Schmetz needles? I've never heard of them.
    Stitching is Meditation in Motion

Quote Originally Posted by Noiseynana View Post
    Where can I find Schmetz needles? I've never heard of them.
    Any good LQS should have them and they should be at Joannes also.
    Sweet Caroline

I have used many brands of needles. Singer and the various Chinese brands vary. Some work great, some don't. Schmetz, available darn near everywhere, Organ, Muva, and several other European brands are quite good.

There is a thread here in the Vintage Machine section or the Machine Shop where a poster commented that most Berninas use the System 705H needles. A few use System 705? The Schmetz needles you see most common are the 705H version. "IF" I remember what I read the other 705 was a wee bit different in length. I'd link to that thread except the URL is on my other hard drive that failed.

My wife has been using a Bernina 930 for about 12 years now. She says she's used just about every brand of needle and doesn't remember any problems with any of them.

Joe

Schmetz is my favorite brand, the only brand of machine needles we sell at the shop!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
    Schmetz needles are my needles of choice. I am thinking that the Singer needles are made in China now and are not of the same quality as Schmetz.
    I just took a class this week on how to clean and care for a FW. The instructor said the same thing - Singer needles are no longer good quality and made in China. She said to stick with Schmetz or Klasse needles for the FW and other vintage machines.
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

Blog Entries
    Watch out for those Chinese needles. Some aren't even sharp. I use Schmetz needles. Hobby Lobby has them and so does JoAnns. " If it aint broke, don't fix it."
    Donna Quilts
    We help the wounded soldiers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast