Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer oil and grease. I tried, but no luck... >

Singer oil and grease. I tried, but no luck...

Singer oil and grease. I tried, but no luck...

Old 06-11-2014, 03:08 PM

**** Yes, you said it, but it really is true - I agree with you.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:23 PM

This is all interesting, because my husband uses ACID too to take the paraffin off inside pipes. Been in the oil "bidness" for 65yrs. I have 2 tubes of old lubricant. Joe, I don't want yours, and I'll send you mine. ha. Also have a jar of vaseline. It says on the bottom Cheseborough-Ponds USA. I googled "who makes vaseline". A pretty neat story. I KNOW THIS. When my son was 1yr. old, I spilled a hot cup of coffee on his bare leg. Ran him to emergency. They had warm liquid vaseline in a container, put a roll of gauze in it and wrapped his burned, blistered leg, and told us not to touch it for 2 weeks. Then they unwrapped it and no burn. Just dead skin and a clean leg. Big lesson. Barny

Last edited by barny; 06-11-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:30 PM

I have no idea what any of my thread has to do with anything.ha.ha. I guess it's just my age! sometimes we old folks just have to talk.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by barny View Post
This is all interesting, because my husband uses ACID too to take the paraffin off inside pipes. Been in the oil "bidness" for 65yrs. I have 2 tubes of old lubricant. Joe, I don't want yours, and I'll send you mine. ha. Also have a jar of vaseline. It says on the bottom Cheseborough-Ponds USA. I googled "who makes vaseline". A pretty neat story. I KNOW THIS. When my son was 1yr. old, I spilled a hot cup of coffee on his bare leg. Ran him to emergency. They had warm liquid vaseline in a container, put a roll of gauze in it and wrapped his burned, blistered leg, and told us not to touch it for 2 weeks. Then they unwrapped it and no burn. Just dead skin and a clean leg. Big lesson. Barny
Barny,
I have enough to last probably the rest of my life. So perhaps send it to a couple someones here on the QB that can't find it and does need it.

Glad your son healed up good and proper. Burns are nasty things to deal with.

Joe
Old 06-12-2014, 04:05 AM

okay... just Google "Singer machine lubricant"...and one of the hits is : http://www.joann.com/singer-sewing-m...t/1046671.html

Oil: http://www.joann.com/singer-machine-...e/1024165.html

I have a Singer can of oil and a Singer tube of lubricant (grease). They are two different items for two different uses on the machines. Refer to the Owner's Manual for location of use of those intricate places.

Don't just use any ol' product. These Singer products are formulated for these machines. A little goes a long way and will last quite some time, despite regular use AND they are not that expensive.

Good luck.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:21 AM

I just noticed something about the MSDS Singer sent me and the one on the Albatross website.
The Singer one (for the Albatross oil) is from 2000, and the one on the Albatross site is from 2013.

It seems that the formulation of the oil has changed since 2000. The old MSDS lists three CAS numbers:

64742-46-7 (0-100%)
72623-86-0 (0-100%)
72623-86-1 (0-100%)

but the new one lists only one:

178603-64-0 (100%)

The old formula is a variable blend of paraffinic mineral oils, and the new one is a single ingredient.

What does this mean?
They are just buying whatever generic light mineral oil is cheapest and putting it in bottles labled 'Sewing Machine Oil'.

Singer is either buying it from Albatross, or licencing their name out to Abatross.

Last edited by Jamesbeat; 06-12-2014 at 06:28 AM.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:56 AM

James,

Do you have the MSDS chart on Alpha-Sew oil? That is available at my LSMG and it what I use when not using T-F. The Singer oil is available at JoAnn Fabrics, but I rarely buy any of it.

And how do you find those charts?

Joe
Old 06-12-2014, 08:09 AM

No I don't have the Alpha-Sew MSDS, but I gues I could email them and ask for it.

Which charts are you referring to?
Old 06-12-2014, 10:25 AM

Did I get it wrong? I was thinking of the charts you mentioned that tells what ingredients are in the oils.

Joe
Old 06-12-2014, 10:50 AM

Oh, the MSDS sheets?
It's all in my first post.
Many companies make them available on their websites, but Singer don't, so I simply emailed Singer and asked for them

If you want an MSDS for a product, you can usually just google the product name and MSDS.
Same with CAS numbers, which will usually give you even more info.

Here is the conversation I had with Singer:

The MSDS for the oil is (hopefully) attached to this post.

Hi, My name is James, and I work for ---------------------.
We are a flooring contractor, and we use sewing machines to apply binding tape to the edges of carpet samples.
Our sewing machine service technician advised us to switch to Singer sewing machine oil and grease for maintenance of our machines.
We would like to keep MSDS sheets for both the oil and grease on record, but I can't find them on the internet.
Could you please forward me a copy of each, or let me know where I could download them?
Thank you, James -------

We only have the MSDS for the oil, unfortunately we do not have one for the
grease.

(See attached file: MSDS oil.pdf)

Singer Consumer Affairs

Thank you.
Are you able to tell me who manufactures the grease for you, so that I could try contacting them for the MSDS?

Thanks,

James ------

Thank you for your reply.

As stated, we do not have that information.

Singer Consumer Affairs Department
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MSDS oil.pdf (386.5 KB, 104 views)

Last edited by Jamesbeat; 06-12-2014 at 11:03 AM.