Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
This Singer is so special to me >

This Singer is so special to me

This Singer is so special to me

Old 04-15-2014, 04:50 PM

Love your sweet machine and great history & memories you have. Thank's for sharing with us!
Old 04-15-2014, 05:09 PM
Power Poster

Oh gosh that is a beautiful machine and so are the memories that go with it. My grandpa's machine (yes grandpa) is at my elderly aunt's. She did use it a lot and made me some doll clothes many moons ago. It is a treadle too. She said I could have it when she passes but I don't want her to and the machine is far away. Enjoy your treasure.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:02 PM
Power Poster

Muv has a treasure trough of info on her blog about the old long bobbin machines. http://lizzielenard-vintagesewing.blogspot.com/ I have learned a lot reading it.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by SHELTIE'SMAMA View Post
Please make sure that you put a written copy of this story in one o the drawers with some names and dates. This
way as the machine gets passed on down through the generations the real history of it gets passed down too. Between the age of six and ten my grandmother would talk to me for hours about her life and family in Poland. Turns out that in a family of nine I was the only one interested. Now I would kill o have a written copy of that info.
That is a great idea Sheltie, I think I will do that.....thank you for the idea!
Old 04-15-2014, 07:56 PM

miriam, thank you for the link, going to go and check it out!
Old 04-16-2014, 02:27 PM

Great machine and memories, and as someone said, put history in drawer for future owner. I have my grandmothers 201-3 and I remember loaning her $5.00 to give the man who delivered it to her great big victorian house we also lived in too. It is now 6 appartment in Sherbrooke, Quebec. I have that machine and love it more than any other because of the memories and history. Sews great too. And memories (yes I learned to sew on it) are priceless.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:38 PM

Lovely machine.

source for drawer pulls:
http://www.vintagehardware.com/vinta...op-style-pulls if you want to go back to a more original look. There's a ring pull with a long backplate that might cover up the holes if you take off the Bakelites. See #D-14 Eastlake Oblong Pull
Old 04-17-2014, 12:47 PM

In one of the pictures it looks like the the drawer handles are glowing. I'm so glad they're not.
I think your machine is pretty and it will be a joy to sew with too.
Sharon
Old 04-18-2014, 06:12 PM

I loved your story. Such special memories and I agree you should copy your story and keep it with the machine. I have fond memories of sewing on my grandmother's treadle machine as a child but didn't think of it for years as I moved away for school and raised a family. Now I would love to see it again but don't know what became of it (this was in 50's). I asked a cousin who I thought might know where it went but she didn't know. Her mother lived with my grandmother in her final years (60's). I think the old machines weren't as appreciated then. Everyone wanted the new "modern" machines. So your story meant a lot to me.