Singer Touch and Sew

Old 03-21-2015, 01:33 PM

Default Singer Touch and Sew

My daughter brought her MIL's singer touch and sew out to see if I could fix it for the lovely lady. Is this a machine worth putting my time into?
Helen Ann
Old 03-21-2015, 03:36 PM

I love the Touch and Sews. I have a half dozen and they all work perfectly. Usually there isn't anything wrong with the machine. They tend to birds nest easily because people do not have a manual to know how to use the machine and they sew differently. PM if you need any help.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:39 PM

Opinions vary. Some don't like them, I'm one of the ones who do. The biggest issue is tthe 620 series on up used nylon gears and the gears are starting to fail on them. Replacement sets are available on Ebay and are relatively inexpensive. As long as the gears are still good, yes. If not then it becomes a judgement call on your part. Touch & Sews are great machines. They're descended from the 400 series and 500 series Rocketeers. They're very similar inside other than the automatic bobbin winders. To get the full benefit from the machine you need a copy of the owners manual, preferably printed and right next to you as you work. They are capable of a lot but are not intuitive to use.
Rodney
Old 03-21-2015, 03:55 PM
Power Poster

Rodney you nailed it in your assessment of a T&S. People either love or hate them. My first experience was in high school. We had no manual. I spent all of home ec class trying to get all the bobbin thread nests out of the machine. I hated that machine. I think I hated all Singers for a while. I do have a couple T&S machines now that I really like. BUT I do have a manual. A while back I took a sledge hammer to a touch and sew... LINK: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...y-t232536.html
Old 03-22-2015, 04:12 AM

My MIL's main machine was a Golden Touch&Sew (I believe that is model 624 or there abouts). She took in jobs to make extra money while DH was growing up and sewed everything on it.

Over a year ago we brought it home to fix up for her. She had taken it in to a dealer and they dipped it, and then messed up the adjustments. She took it somewhere else and they told her it wasn't fixable as dipping it had ruined some of the nylon parts. So it sat for about 15 years never being looked at, and now that DH fixes them, he had a go.

Nothing wrong inside but horribly out of adjustment. He got it all working and back together, and we took it back. MIL was very happy to get it back in working condition, unfortunately her condition worsened so rapidly that she was never able to use it.

Now it's waiting for when DH and I get back down there (probably this fall) and it will come home and have a place of honor at my house. She loved that machine, and that is why it's important to me.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerzz View Post
I love the Touch and Sews. I have a half dozen and they all work perfectly. Usually there isn't anything wrong with the machine. They tend to birds nest easily because people do not have a manual to know how to use the machine and they sew differently. PM if you need any help.
I got a T&S 635 for $6 that was advertised as "for parts only". Well, I started tinkering with it after I found the manual on line and read it thoroughly. I now have it working perfectly and I really like it. I just hope the plastic gears don't break on me.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:47 AM

Ok I am on a quest for the manual . This one is a 750 and by golly I will do my best to get her purring again.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:19 AM

Look no further for the manual than www.singerco.com. Under resources, you'll be able to find manuals. Just enter 750 and voila!
Old 03-22-2015, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by 19cats View Post
Look no further for the manual than www.singerco.com. Under resources, you'll be able to find manuals. Just enter 750 and voila!
you have to scroll down to the bottom of the page
Old 03-22-2015, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
My MIL's main machine was a Golden Touch&Sew (I believe that is model 624 or there abouts). She took in jobs to make extra money while DH was growing up and sewed everything on it.

Over a year ago we brought it home to fix up for her. She had taken it in to a dealer and they dipped it, and then messed up the adjustments. She took it somewhere else and they told her it wasn't fixable as dipping it had ruined some of the nylon parts. So it sat for about 15 years never being looked at, and now that DH fixes them, he had a go.

Nothing wrong inside but horribly out of adjustment. He got it all working and back together, and we took it back. MIL was very happy to get it back in working condition, unfortunately her condition worsened so rapidly that she was never able to use it.

Now it's waiting for when DH and I get back down there (probably this fall) and it will come home and have a place of honor at my house. She loved that machine, and that is why it's important to me.
I know there are competent sewing machine repair shops out there but it seems like there are a lot of complete hacks too. 2 different shops and neither one got it right but an amateur who cared enough to see what was really going on was able to fix it.
Rodney