Singer touch & sew

Old 07-30-2016, 08:24 AM

Default Singer touch & sew

I got a singer touch and sew and it sews beautiful. The problem I am having is winding the bobbin. I have attached pictures. The bobbin seems to loop on one side of the bobbin case. Doesn't wind evenly. Is there some type of adjustment I can make on this machine. Also when winding the bobbin the needle continues to go up and down. Don't they usually stop when you push the little white button to wind them. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks Dixie
Attached Thumbnails dsc01830.jpg   dsc01829.jpg   dsc01831.jpg  
Old 07-30-2016, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

My old T&S was a bit different. It had a little lever where your white button was to do the bobbin. When that lever was turned to the left, I filled the bobbin. Check the bobbin to see if the little nubs on the bobbin have a nice clean edge to drive the bobbin. I found when mine got worn,I had to gently press down on the little arm on top of the bobbin to keep it from skipping when it wound. I finally got rid of the machines because my bobbins were worn and at that time I couldn't find any new ones.
I am not sure but I think it had a little depression on the inside round of the hand wheel that I pressed to stop the needle action when it wound?
Old 07-30-2016, 08:50 AM

I have tried several different bobbins and it still does it. Most of them look like new. The hand wheel has no indention on it I tried that also. Most machines have a indention or a smaller wheel to turn, but not this one. Thanks maybe some one else has another suggestion.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:26 AM
KLO

According to this short youtube video, the needle does continue to go up and down when winding a bobbin. I was stunned when I saw this as I did not know there was such an "animal".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wXGk1A2Ssc

And here is another video with a close up of the bobbin winding in a Touch & Sew. The video is very herky jerky but I think you can see what is going on. Hope this helps some with your problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE84twglJBc

Last edited by KLO; 07-30-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:23 AM

It's been a long time since I had a T&S but try taking the bobbin race - the part the bobbin fits into - out and clean out the lint that builds up in there.
The needle does go up and down while filling - and the needle is threaded as it winds the bobbin too. That was a big feature on the T&S machine.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:24 AM

Thanks so much for the information. It help to understand that the needle goes up and down, kinda unusual. Know I need to find out how to adjust the bobbin winder. I know how to wind the bobbin but it winds crooked. off to one side. How can this be adjusted. Many other Singer you just move a little bar but they wind off the hand wheel. This one winds in the machine. There has to be a way to adjust that
Old 07-30-2016, 11:40 AM
Power Poster

That one looks like the first sewing machine I got for graduation in 1970! I would take it in for servicing. Never had that problem before. I remember push down that white button and then it would wind the bobbin.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:42 PM
Power Poster

You might try taking bobbin apart and screw them together again. Do not screw the bobbins too tight. I have a T&S that I love and use almost daily--I check my bobbins every time before I try to load them with thread. My needle does not go up and down when loading bobbin--not sure why yours does-just try to press that white button to one side. Mine has a white lever that is pushed to one side when winding bobbins. Best to have needle position in center while filling bobbin. Try a search for Touch n Sew here--I believe there is a group of owners on this board . Hope this helps.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:44 PM

Singer Touch & Sew do not wind a neat bobbin, with the needle and take up arm going up & down makes for uneven thread tension to the bobbin. ...but I've never seen one as bad as your white thread.
A few things to check and try.
-run it slow, and watch that the bobbin spins evenly and doesn't stop/catch.
-make sure the presser foot is up.
-the white thread looks thick; try a larger needle. Extra drag/tension in the needle eye could cause the problem too.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:27 AM

This was my first sewing machine. I wore it out. Has plastic gears. Why don't you try winding your bobbin on another machine. I do that with my mom's old Singer 201. The bobbin winder on it doesn't work anymore.