Singer Treadle

Old 10-22-2013, 07:33 AM

Default Singer Treadle

I was lucky enough that I was given a Singer Treadle machine from one of the members in my quilt guild - I was told it is from 1914, but it needs work, a little rusty in some spots, needs a new rubber band/belt. The cabinet could use a little work too. Right now I do not have any extra money, but after Christmas I will send it out to get repairs - do anyone know what the approximate cost will be?
Thanks
NormaBeth
Old 10-22-2013, 07:52 AM
Banned

wow.... umm Ok. There is a serious lack of necessary information here. But that's no problem, we get that all the time. We would need to know what model, what condition, what the final goal is, etc.

If it is a treadle still it uses a Leather belt (most repair shops still carry them)

"repairs" could cost anything from $10 to $1000 depending on what you repair and how and in what part of the country... $10 is for a belt, $1000 is for a complete like factory full restoration of machine and cabinet

Not trying to make it sound scary, but without real info it is hard to guess.

If you look at the "sticky" threads here (the ones that stay at the top) there are some GREAT write ups on how to clean and restore a machine and cabinet yourself, not too hard, very inexpensive, much fun. Everything I discussed above can be done for $50-75 if you do it yourself.

Let us know if you want some guidance, and please post pics so we can give you some real advice!
Old 10-22-2013, 09:27 AM

NormaBeth,

What Steve said about the info.

And you can do 90+% of the servicing and repairs yourself. There is enough info here to do it. And if you'll ask we'll even point you to the threads that discuss it.

Joe
Old 10-24-2013, 02:19 PM

I inherited a Singer treadle. It seems to work, but it needs a belt. The cabinet is in pretty good shape, I waxed it up really good. I can't wait to play with it. I have been wanting one for years. I do need to know how to clean the machine. THe plate on the end of the machine isn't shiny but I'm not sure it is supposed to be. I need to find info on how to clean it.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:06 PM

[QUOTE=meanmom;6366489. I need to find info on how to clean it.[/QUOTE]

This sub forum for vintage sewing machines has a sticky on how to go about cleaning your vintage machine. It is the third thread with a sticky note on it.

Last edited by Sunflowerzz; 10-24-2013 at 05:09 PM.