Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer using new design of gears???? >

Singer using new design of gears????

Singer using new design of gears????

Old 09-03-2012, 07:03 PM

If I ever get my hands on one I'll have the shell off of it pretty quick. Or at least enough to see up into the bottom.
I'm positive it has an aluminum skeleton and most of the inside is plastic.

We stood and visually compared the 160th to what we know about the 66s and normal sewing machines. The monstrosity has about half the work room under the arch as the oldies. Way not enough for me to use.

Joe
Old 09-03-2012, 07:07 PM

My singer is mid 70's and has metal gears.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by starshine View Post
My singer is mid 70's and has metal gears.
What's the model number, if I might ask? My wife's Singer 538 from 1978 has all plastic gears.

Joe
Old 09-05-2012, 05:52 AM

The gears were made of nylon actually, I've replaced a few of them in my time. It's easy to do. They tended to get brittle if grease was used on them (a no-no). I haven't seen the inside of the newer machines, it would be interesting to find out if they have spiral gears.

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
We were at JoAnn Fabrics and ran into a guy who said he had or worked at a sewing machine shop in or near Divernon, IL. When the subject of plastic gears came up he told us that Singer is now using spiral cut gears instead of the straight cut gears and that although they are still plastic they are not prone to breakage like the old gears were.
Since I don't have a new(er) sewing machine to look at I was wondering if anyone here had seen the insides of a newer Singer to confirm or deny what this guy said.

Joe
Old 09-05-2012, 07:36 AM

Christine-,

Your comment about not using grease on the gears brings up another question I've had. On our 4622A and 3810, (both machines never been opened until we got them), and our 538 and 518, there is an amber to light brown grease on all the plastic gears. By the feel of it, it's very old. The grease is almost a wax consistency from it's age.

OK, If I am correct this is factory grease on the plastic - nylon gears. But most people say to use no grease. I'm curious if maybe the factory used a special grease not available to the general public which is why other greases cause the gears to deteriorate.

Joe
Old 09-05-2012, 08:06 AM

Joe, this is a topic that is somewhat controversial. Some folks will tell you it's not the grease that harms the gears but that the grease attracts dust and junk to stick to the gear and cause the problems, others will say it's the grease itself. I'm talking modern grease here, not old stuff. I would remove any old grease as you just don't know what it is! Triflow is supposedly safe for nylon and plastic gears and is used by a good percentage of people on plastic and nylon gears. Of course, what will happen in 30-40 years? Who knows...
Old 09-05-2012, 08:59 AM

Here is a link to a pic of the spiral gear..

http://www.asia-manufacturer.com/who...1315645540.jpg
Old 09-05-2012, 09:05 AM

Candace,

That is exactly what I'm doing. I've cleaned off all old grease and used Tri-Flow grease on our plastic geared machines. Especially if the plastic gear is driven by a metal gear. It seems to work very well. I won't be alive in 30 to 40 years so I'll let whoever is using them then worry about it. That is, if there is electricity to power them and anybody that stills sews then.

Joe
Old 09-05-2012, 09:06 AM

Donna,

Thanks for the link, I'm gonna go read it right now.

OOppss, I thought it was an r-tickle. It's only a pic. Duhhhhhh ....

Joe