Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Singer301a?

Singer301a?

On local craigs list for $135.00. Worth it?

Depends...what's worth it to me might be different for you. Prices are always subjective and with no info. about it or photo, who's to know.

It seems pricey to me, but if it is in excellent condition, and you have always wanted one, it might be worth going to see and trying out.

Seems high to me as well. There have been a few in my area on CL for between $50-$100 just in the last couple of weeks. If I had more room......

I might pay that for one in excellent shape AND clean with all the toys to go with it, especially if it was serviced recently. Here, they typically go for around $100, more if there are toys. (buttonholer, zig zag attachment, all the accessories it should have come with, possibly a nice cabinet or a nice carry case, etc. Pin cushions and old thread don't count. )

If it's attic fresh and you have to do a bunch of cleanup and servicing, not so much. A good cleaning and servicing for me (removing all screwed on bits, and cleaning, and reassembling and adjusting) takes a couple of hours. Your time is worth something.
    Tammi - I've found that many baby steps tend to get you further than a huge leap in followed by a huge leap out - http://www.archaicarcane.com
    Singer 411G, 301A, 2x 221 (featherweight), 222k - the holy grail, 99-, 15-90 Centennial, 27, VS2, 28 hc, 128 knee bar, 201-2, 31-15, Pfaff 130-6. Non-Vintage - Pfaff 6122, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81595 serger, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81155, 2013 APQS Lucey

Blog Entries
    They are increasing in price and there's no shipping involved like ebay, so I'd certainly look at it. If it sews as well as mine, you won't be unhappy.

Blog Entries
    I sell them for about that after I have cleaned, oiled and adjusted. Some times more if it is really nice. How much does your $50 machine cost plus servicing?
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

From the sales I've watched, the 301 longbed in the straw case goes for quite a bit more than the machine only 301 shortbed. The black ones seem to go for a bit more, also. Worth is sort of a personal decision. After watching the Singer 15-91 sell for over $900 I don't think I'll put a value on anything unless I'm buying or selling it.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I sell them for about that after I have cleaned, oiled and adjusted. Some times more if it is really nice. How much does your $50 machine cost plus servicing?
    About $135 And that's typically not clean, just serviced if done at a shop.

Quote Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
    From the sales I've watched, the 301 longbed in the straw case goes for quite a bit more than the machine only 301 shortbed. The black ones seem to go for a bit more, also. Worth is sort of a personal decision. After watching the Singer 15-91 sell for over $900 I don't think I'll put a value on anything unless I'm buying or selling it.

Jon
    Was there a cabinet that ever fit the long bed? I find it funny that the long bed is so popular, I like the short bed because I find it more versatile. Fits in several cabinets and my customized desk, so I can sew with a flat surface, and it's still portable. I would prefer black, but I don't mind the LBOW color scheme. I can't seem to bond with the mocha though.

I sometimes wonder about auctions like that 15-91. I wonder if the seller got their money in the end, or if they or someone they know were bidding to jack the price up.
    Tammi - I've found that many baby steps tend to get you further than a huge leap in followed by a huge leap out - http://www.archaicarcane.com
    Singer 411G, 301A, 2x 221 (featherweight), 222k - the holy grail, 99-, 15-90 Centennial, 27, VS2, 28 hc, 128 knee bar, 201-2, 31-15, Pfaff 130-6. Non-Vintage - Pfaff 6122, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81595 serger, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81155, 2013 APQS Lucey

Blog Entries
    The Mocha 301s seem to be a little better made though. Don't ask me how...
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast