Slow Featherweight

Old 07-19-2013, 05:36 AM

Location: Moved from Missouri to California June2013 have 1 son 2 daughters, all grown and 2 cats
Default Slow Featherweight

Bought another FW as my daughter fell in love with the first one I bought, and after spiffing it up gave it to her. My newer little doll is in wonderful condition, has a lovely stitch but even after checking out the foot pedal stitches slowly. It needs a boost when she first begins, and is steady, just slow. No varying of speed i.e. bursts of fast then slowing. I have David McCallums book and video and I've followed instructions for adjusting the pedal. Does anyone reading this have an idea what else I might check? The power cord had some electrical tape that I removed and does have a small nick down to the copper, I've ordered a new cord. What else can I do to pep her up? Thank you for reading and for any ideas you might ofer.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Raine54RN View Post
What else can I do to pep her up?
Sounds like a problem with worn or unseated motor brushes or the foot controller's carbon pile rheostat. The brushes are easier to repair, but the controller is much easier to check, if you have a spare.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:23 PM

This might sound weird but I know that I read somewhere that if you turn your plug around so that the prongs go into the wall outlet the opposite of how you put them in the first time. Don't know how true that advice is but it wouldn't hurt to try it.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:36 PM

My 'go-to' source for FW questions is www.novamontgomery.com

She has a tip of the month (and index), will answer an e-mail, has Skype consultations, and your machine could be shipped to her for repair if necessary.

She loves our special FWs. Check out the website. I think you will be glad you did.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:26 AM

I'm not familiar with the book you referenced, but did you open the controller and check that the full speed contacts come together when the button is depressed all the way? If they don't, you could try bending the upper contacts a little. Adjusting the lock nut and the screw is a bit of a tricky business. If the screw is too tight, the current will still flow even when the button is not pressed, and the controller gets very hot. As manicmike said it would be easiest if you could rule out the controller by testing the machine with a spare.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:28 AM

PS -- Until you get the new cord put some tape on that nick.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Sheluma View Post
open the controller and check that the full speed contacts come together when the button is depressed all the way
Why didn't I think of that? Great idea. Even if there's carbon dust buildup, it should still work at full speed when fully pressed (mine was also missing one of these, incidentally). Our own archaicarchane was my source of information when I fixed mine: http://www.archaicarcane.com/singerattheraces/
Mike
Old 07-20-2013, 03:51 AM

Thanks for the link to Tammi's instructions, Mike. I might need that someday.
Sheila
Old 07-20-2013, 02:31 PM

After you check the other cord and controller. Check and see how tight the belt is. David McCallum's book will give you details on adjusting the belt. If the belt is tighter than if should be the machine will run slow and not start by itself. The book will also give you details and instructions on checking the motor brushes and lubing the motor. Let us know how all works out.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:38 PM

Check with novamontgomery.com . She knows all about FW and is a dealer and repairs them. She is also my best friend, so I know she will treat you right. She will answer your questions. Good luck, I love my FW too.