Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Smelly Featherweight?

Smelly Featherweight?

I took mine out today to do another project and noticed that she was rather smelly. I don't remember her smelling that bad when I took her out last time. Anyway, thought I would give her another good oiling top and bottom. I had never taken off the bottom pan before and that was when I noticed how grungy the pad was. And, boy, did it smell of old oil. Lesson learned, it was not the case that smelled, it was the old oil pad and pan. I have cleaned the pan and have ordered replacement oil pads. When I was searching the Internet for the pads I learned the old oil soaked pads can smell, harbor bacteria and mold. Lesson learned.
    Last edited by Caroline S; 03-16-2012 at 02:29 PM.
    Sweet Caroline

You can make your own pads too. Since they are disposable, they don't have to be fancy!
    Dayle

I tried to order one from a quilt shop about an hour away that repairs FW's, but he was awaiting his next order. He said in a pinch people have used a piece of Warm and Natural/White batting- makes sense to me. I happened to have a piece of super absorbent orange shammy type material that I'll use for the FW I just bought. I did notice the pads are available on EBay for about $6 including shipping. I hadn't realized how stinky old FW's can be! I also thought it was the case that smelled, but after airing it out I believe most of the odor was the machine.

Good to know...thanks

I just took out the old one, traced the pattern on some felt & used that for a new oil pad. Mine smells too & have been "airing" it out for a week & it still has a smell. I put some coffee grains (as per Charlee's suggestion) & added some vinegar in the case but it's going to take some time (maybe lots of time) LOL.
    Dance like no one is watching

Thanks Monroe. It never occured to me to make one. I have lots of Warm and Natural scraps. Duh!! I could have saved myself some money.
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    Me too, another Duh moment. I've got tons of Warm and Natural.
    We would worry less about what others think of us if we realized how seldom they do.

Thanks for the tip. I just recieved my shipment of pads, 1 for each of my FW (2) and 1 for my 301. Now I can save some money by making my own.

Blog Entries
    I never thought about the pads, I don't think I have ever had the bottom pan taken off but will look into it the next time I get her out. Thanks for the heads up and I think the Warm and Natural is a great idea, I always have scrap pieces of it laying around, I always save them and use them for small projects and mug rugs. Thanks again...
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan