Snow and a chance of a 201

Old 12-29-2015, 05:44 AM

Default Snow and a chance of a 201

I am trying to convince my son to go look at a 201 near where he is. I told him it would "complete my collection." The 201 has been listed for several days, and when I see one in an ad, it never lasts more than 2 or 3 days. Perhaps a caution?
Am hoping we can video chat if he'll go to see it.

If it works out, I would have a 201, a 301, a 401 (and a 128.) Then, I would only need a 221. I'd even settle for a 222. But then I'd be done.

Do I hear the sound of laughter?
Old 12-29-2015, 06:22 AM

"done"? I know what that word means usually, but the way you're using it in reference to sewing machine collecting doesn't make any sense to me. LOL

I've actually been passing up machines lately...I've kind of reached a saturation point where I won't just buy any machine that looks cool. I'm limited on space and I'm at the point where if one comes in, one has to go out, so I'm being picky. I also told myself originally that I wouldn't keep any machine I didn't use at least once a year, and that resolution has definitely gone by the wayside!! I don't have as much time to sew as I did when I made that resolution, I haven't completed a single quilt this year! (I made three tops, but none are quilts yet.)

Good luck on your 201! I hope it's not still there for a bad reason.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:16 AM
Banned

if this falls through, let me know. We get 201's listed around here a lot...
Old 12-29-2015, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

A 201 is on my list too. In all my looking in the past few years I have seen nary a one. My thing is I want to come upon them at a garage sale,estate sale or thrift shop. So far over a period of years I have found a 15 in a treadle, two 221s, a 301 and a 401. In addition to some others. Now that we have moved I have a new territory to scour.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
"done"? I know what that word means usually, but the way you're using it in reference to sewing machine collecting doesn't make any sense to me. LOL

I've actually been passing up machines lately...I've kind of reached a saturation point where I won't just buy any machine that looks cool. I'm limited on space and I'm at the point where if one comes in, one has to go out, so I'm being picky. I also told myself originally that I wouldn't keep any machine I didn't use at least once a year, and that resolution has definitely gone by the wayside!! I don't have as much time to sew as I did when I made that resolution, I haven't completed a single quilt this year! (I made three tops, but none are quilts yet.)

Good luck on your 201! I hope it's not still there for a bad reason.
LOL! I like the "saturation point" idea. I think I am there too. I have sew many machines that I am not sure another is needed. I also have a huge back log of those I need to work on and get them up and running! MY work table has been getting a bit clogged up because I haven't been turning them out very quickly but I have slowed way down on bringing them home. My estimate this year is that I brought home less than 10 and average price I paid was about 12.00 as some were 5.00 or free and a couple were 15.00, 22.00.

In my world 10 sewing machines means I was being very very good!
Old 12-29-2015, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

Good Luck. I would bet the FARM that you won't be tempted again!
Old 12-29-2015, 10:42 AM

Hope it goes well with the 201!

I'm going to have to get serious about what I should rehome - but that can wait until I get everything moved out to the shed. Then I'll know what I don't have room for. And I do have to leave some room for the few I'm still looking for

My biggest problem is the few I still want rarely show up - and they usually go for $$$ too.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:00 PM

Fortunately I seem to have rather cheap taste - I think the most I've spent on a vintage machine was around $150 and that felt REALLY expensive. I really love searching for machines at thrift shops, it's such a thrill to uncover a neat machine for a cheap price. Even if I don't buy it, I like just having FOUND it. And of course I have to fiddle with it and pet it a little before I go, so it'll know it's loved.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

I would say you may be done with that "division or section" of your collection.
Originally Posted by WIChix View Post
I am trying to convince my son to go look at a 201 near where he is. I told him it would "complete my collection." The 201 has been listed for several days, and when I see one in an ad, it never lasts more than 2 or 3 days. Perhaps a caution?

If it works out, I would have a 201, a 301, a 401 (and a 128.) Then, I would only need a 221. I'd even settle for a 222. But then I'd be done.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by WIChix View Post

What about a 101?