so frustrated!

Old 04-02-2014, 10:21 PM

Thanks for checking on me! I got the tension to an acceptable quality, mostly by adjusting and readjusting and on and on until I was satisfied. I removed the bobbin case on the 99 and cleaned that area. I used dental floss on the tensions. I even adjusted the presser foot pressure, which was high on the 99. Just a lot of trial and error. Then I had an epiphany -- I really like my Kenmores better than any of my Singers. I wonder if it's like Coke vs. Pepsi. Most people like one more than the other, maybe. I'm a Coke/Kenmore girl for sure.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:43 PM

The 99s have some weird features in the bobbin area that act opposite of what I would typically expect. easily 2 out of 3 99s I get need some pretty good adjustment in the hook area thanks to previous tinkerers.

Try this post from a couple of years ago: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...g-t195869.html

At the end of the day, if you want to sew and not tinker with the machines, I'd say stick with the ones that have treated you the best.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
The 99s have some weird features in the bobbin area that act opposite of what I would typically expect. easily 2 out of 3 99s I get need some pretty good adjustment in the hook area thanks to previous tinkerers.

Try this post from a couple of years ago: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...g-t195869.html

At the end of the day, if you want to sew and not tinker with the machines, I'd say stick with the ones that have treated you the best.
well Tammi, I just visited your website an wow do you have some wonderful info on there! I wish I would have watched your "stuck in the middle" video a week ago! I have a 401 that I was struggling to get the "swing back in" and in the end I didn't use a very light touch and I definitely forced movement, lol! I'm not very patient. It still needs work because the stitch pattern knobs sometimes move smoothly and freely and then the next moment doesn't want to move at all without a lot of jiggling.
But now I am a teensy worried that I really forced this poor machine and sure hope I didn't do lasting damage?
Old 04-03-2014, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
well Tammi, I just visited your website an wow do you have some wonderful info on there! I wish I would have watched your "stuck in the middle" video a week ago! I have a 401 that I was struggling to get the "swing back in" and in the end I didn't use a very light touch and I definitely forced movement, lol! I'm not very patient. It still needs work because the stitch pattern knobs sometimes move smoothly and freely and then the next moment doesn't want to move at all without a lot of jiggling.
But now I am a teensy worried that I really forced this poor machine and sure hope I didn't do lasting damage?
I'm so glad you enjoy the site. I don't post as much as I'd like to, so I try to make sure that when I do, they're doozies! What I showed in that video was to get it unstuck. More than likely you have a little gummed up oil or grease in there sticking intermittently. If you try to remove as much as you can, work the machine, remove the new bits that it spits out, repeat - it will likely become more consistent. If you're using the triflow, it should help dissolve some of that older crud and help it work its way out.

I'm assuming that you forced the needlebar, would that be right? If so, that joint I show that snaps back and forth will take a fair bit of force before things go wrong. I'm also assuming we're talking hand pressure, no prybars or other leverage?

If it's more the stitch selectors, look for anything that looks obviously bent. Sometimes the metal will change color a little bit if it bends. Compare if you can to the look of the machine in the video. It's a 411G, but for all intents and purposes identical in the spots you're concerned about.

When it gets hard to move, can you see or feel anything that seems to be blocking it? Take that top cover off and see if the flapper doohicky is moving, etc...

I do find that the stitch selectors are a little fiddly. If one is in x position, the other one doesn't want to move. I do think there's a good chance you want to look more at those "pillars and collars" I talked about in the video for goo though.