This is so pitiful

Old 12-04-2014, 02:49 PM

Default This is so pitiful

I was trolling CL and came across the post for this machine, price $15, it is on the junk yard truck to be disposed of on Monday. I looked at it and thought there might be some salvageable parts there. I called the guy and talked to him about trading some of my DH recycle junk for this old sewing machine since he was taking it to the recycle center anyway. He said that would be great. So we took him some old metal that needed to be recycled and he gave me this sewing machine. I have been able to salvage the face plate, part of needle plate cover, tension parts, bobbin winder part, machine foot and several screw. I don't know if the motor is salvageable or not. The foot pedal is rather unique. This was a Singer 99 mfg'd about June of 1927. The base was damaged but I am pretty sure it can be repaired. Someone had cut a small piece out of the dome shaped case. I can't imagine why anyone would do this or what purpose it may have served. This machine would be a great one for someone who totally wanted to take a machine down to the bare metal and repaint. I don't want to do that so it will probably go back to the recycle gentleman when we get all of the parts off that we can salvage.
Attached Thumbnails whole-machine.jpg   underneat-bobbin.jpg   salvaged-parts.jpg   rusted-motor-area.jpg   rusted-bobbin-area-top.jpg  

lid-hole-cut-.jpg   bobbin-winding-area.jpg   base-removed-parts.jpg  
Old 12-04-2014, 03:23 PM

Oh, that really is very sad. What on earth were they doing cutting up the case?? If you feel inclined, you probably could throw a lot of the parts into Evaporust and they might be okay.

A few weeks ago, I might have thought it was worth trying to get the poor thing going, but I bought a couple of dirty, rusted (not nearly this bad), frozen machines (that had also lived by the ocean, so I think salt water had a role) because I felt sorry for the seller, who was young and had driven an hour and a half to meet us. I was swayed by the decals - a really nice pheasant 27, and it was a 'take both' sell, so I also got one with Tiffany decals. But NOTHING I've done has so much as budged the pheasant one (haven't even tried on the other, which is equally frozen). I tried PB Blaster, Triflow oil, scrubbed every inch of works I could reach with a toothbrush, used all my best picks and tweezers, and went through umpteen Q-Tips and cotton balls cleaning the outside. I took off the handwheel and tried to turn the shaft even a tiny fraction. Nothing works. The presser foot was frozen and I managed to get that off, but the lifter still only moves if we unscrew the lock on the spring - and doesn't move the presser bar at all (although it's working its way upwards and sticks out about an inch on top). I haven't entirely given up hope, but they're going into a box until sometime after Christmas when I feel like experiencing endless frustration again.

Sad as it is, I think this one may really be beyond help. Sigh.

Last edited by Champanier; 12-04-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:12 PM

Cat house for the barn cat?
Old 12-04-2014, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by sews View Post
LOL!! I was thinking pet house for the guinea pig or some other small animal
Old 12-05-2014, 02:11 AM
Power Poster

I worked on a rusted looking machine a few weeks ago. I guess it all depends on how far that rust has gone into the machine and how many parts you have that can be pulled from a donor.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:48 AM

It's so sad to see them this beat up and neglected. Only slightly consoling to know there are still thousands of 99's out there, but still...
Old 12-05-2014, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

So sad when I see machines like this. Good luck with it.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
It's so sad to see them this beat up and neglected. Only slightly consoling to know there are still thousands of 99's out there, but still...
If nothing else it is possible that machine could donate parts for another one and keep it going.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:58 AM

*** May she Rest In Peace (poor baby).
Old 12-06-2014, 09:25 AM

That is exactly what I was thinking....that is what I would do with it...on some soft hay. My barn cat can burrow into the bales, but he prefers to sleep in the open. Go figure.....

Originally Posted by sews View Post