Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Some days the bargains seem to be everywhere! >

Some days the bargains seem to be everywhere!

Some days the bargains seem to be everywhere!

Old 03-19-2014, 01:12 PM

Default Some days the bargains seem to be everywhere!

I went out again today for dog food...just dog food. No, REALLY! I just went out for dog food.

After I bought the dog food the thrift store across the street was calling to me. So I popped in and found some books, I as I walked out to the truck I realized I hadn't had breakfast and my sugar dropped all of a sudden so off I went to Jack N the box , I love the egg rolls. It was such a lovely day I decided to drive across town and drop by another thrift which has been my fav place for bobbins. The owner was there this time and he also has the huge building next door and I had peeked in the windows on my way in and saw five sewing machines in the back. ( This building is never open to the public as they use it for a storage facility) I asked the owner if he would take me over to the other building so I could see them. He took me over and I talked him into letting me have two of them for 5.00 each for parts machines. YAY!

Then we walked back to the main building and I went to look for bobbins and such. Look what I came home with! It is dirty and needs a part on the front and new electrical but other than that it is perfect. Decals are awesome. Paint is like new. The table isn't bad and the bench seat is too cute. I paid more than I wanted to but for the table, bench and the machine $140.00 was a good price in my neck of the woods for this particular Singer. It was on my list so now I am down to only two maybe three machines left on the list.

Didn't find any bobbins...
Attached Thumbnails img_5458.jpg   img_5459.jpg   img_5456.jpg   img_5460.jpg   img_5463.jpg  

img_5462.jpg  
Old 03-19-2014, 01:23 PM

Good haul. How do you know the two bottom machines are parts machines? What's wrong with them?
Old 03-19-2014, 02:08 PM

There doesn't have to be anything wrong with them sometimes other than cosmetics. The singer is pretty beat up but the Brother might clean up fine. The singer also has a weird free arm system. Not really even a free arm. The dials are beat up, paint is chipped all over and there are other things also you can't see in the pics, but sometimes I just have to take the least of two good machines to make one a really great machine. Then the one used as a parts machine may sit awhile until another parts machine comes along to make it the good one. It is just my system. Works for me.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:12 PM
Power Poster

Kind of like going to the store "just for a loaf of bread" and spending a $100.00. Great looking machines!
Old 03-19-2014, 03:38 PM
KLO

I originally owned a Singer with that kind of free arm. My dh bought it for me back in the 70's as a Christmas gift. It finally bit the dust when some of the plastic parts inside broke and I couldn't find replace parts. Gave it to my local machine repair guy to use for parts. Probably wouldn't do that now. I would ask you guys what to do instead.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:00 PM

Sigh. I always want to go in the "other" buildings. Nice haul!

What is the 15 missing? Oh! the thumb screw?
Old 03-19-2014, 04:37 PM

Nice finds. That 15 looks like it's in good shape.
Rodney
Old 03-19-2014, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro View Post
Sigh. I always want to go in the "other" buildings. Nice haul!

What is the 15 missing? Oh! the thumb screw?
Ha, You have eagle eyes....You saw it was missing..
Old 03-19-2014, 05:26 PM

Yes Rodney she seems to be in very good condition just really dirty. The cabinet is in nice shape too. I may have done a No No but I couldn't resist. I replaced her front plate and her inspection plate with ones from a MW Signature because I just love looking at the shamrocks on them. I replaced her bobbin wheel rubber ring and the thumb screw, I will replace the plain fed dog cover with a graduated one, add a FMQ foot and I would love to add a chrome light housing to her and I think I have one laying around here somewhere. Then she will be finished and all beautiful.
Attached Thumbnails img_5481.jpg   img_5480.jpg   img_5478.jpg  
Old 03-19-2014, 05:47 PM

Oh, you have made her bright and shiney...Good job.