Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Someone please go rescue this baby in Ohio >

Someone please go rescue this baby in Ohio

Someone please go rescue this baby in Ohio

Old 11-09-2014, 08:03 AM

Default Someone please go rescue this baby in Ohio

Ok, went to Ohio Thrift Store on Cleveland Ave in Columbus, Ohio and they have an old White Treadle machine for $40.00 She is back in the used furniture area---she will need a tiny bit of TLC but is in pretty good shape for her age. Hubby said that the belt is good and the handwheel moves. She does need cleaned up and polished. I would love to own her, but just cannot afford to get her---just got diagnosed with mild glaucoma and the medicine is expensive--so it is what it is. Please someone go get her----I would feel so much better if she found a loving home.
If you do, pm me and let me see how she looks when she is all jazzed up.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:14 AM

Sounds like you found a nice machine - maybe you can get it when they have a 50% sale - you should ask when the next sale is or if they will give it to you cheaper. Take a load of things that you don't want to donate - sometimes thrifts give out coupons for donors for discounts off of in store purchases. Hope you can manage to get it.

I wish our thrift stores here would realize what some of the current prices are for older machines. If they have an older one, they think that they have a pot of gold and ask for high $ - OBW they sit there forever until someone makes an offer or there is a sale. The Sally Ann here has a White treadle head for sale in their glass display cabinet - it is very rusty, few decals left and missing parts - price $95.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by costumegirl View Post
Sounds like you found a nice machine - maybe you can get it when they have a 50% sale - you should ask when the next sale is or if they will give it to you cheaper. Take a load of things that you don't want to donate - sometimes thrifts give out coupons for donors for discounts off of in store purchases. Hope you can manage to get it.

I wish our thrift stores here would realize what some of the current prices are for older machines. If they have an older one, they think that they have a pot of gold and ask for high $ - OBW they sit there forever until someone makes an offer or there is a sale. The Sally Ann here has a White treadle head for sale in their glass display cabinet - it is very rusty, few decals left and missing parts - price $95.
That's how most of the thrift stores are here too. If it's a treadle they tend to think it's gold without considering the condition. OTOH dashboard machines and the generic white colored ones tend to run cheap when they show up. I can tell I'm starting to have enough machines (though there's always room for the right one) A year ago any old machine would have gotten my attention. Now I'm seeing myself get much more picky about which machines I want and the condition they're in. I can fix mechanical issues but the cosmetics like decals are beyond my abilities.
Rodney
Old 11-09-2014, 10:49 PM

Sorry to hear of your troubles and Best Wishes. $40 is pretty reasonable for a treadle in not terrible shape. I fear much cheaper and the repurposers will get ahold of it. Sometimes if things are gotten too inexpensive they tend not to be valued as highly as they should.

Jon
Old 11-10-2014, 08:05 AM

Their "pot of gold" mentality is from what they see on eBay!! I volunteer for a rescue thrift store, they think everything is $300 or more regardless of condition, of course, they do not sell.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:01 AM

Hi I would love to help You get that machine. How can I pay them and have you go get it? Want to help from Washinton state. Maybe you can post the name of store I can look up their phone number.