Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
something I learned the hard way - QUICK RELEASE >

something I learned the hard way - QUICK RELEASE

something I learned the hard way - QUICK RELEASE

Old 02-23-2015, 06:17 PM
Power Poster

WHEEEEE I think the pictures stuck!!! YIPPIE!!!! I am so easily amused tonight. I've been dreaming about a garden. I sssssssoooooooooooo want spring. Pressure tension springs will have to do........
Old 02-23-2015, 06:22 PM
Power Poster

Very interesting. Going to look at some machines
Old 02-23-2015, 07:54 PM

Thank you for the visual lesson, Miriam. I don't have any, but it is sure good to know about for in the future.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:36 PM

Miriam I don't have one of the quick release on my 15 91 just the screw thing on the top, but will try that and see whatn happens ..Thanks for all the information..
Old 02-23-2015, 10:03 PM

And a note to self and maybe others... watch how your fingers are placed when you release those quick releases! The first one I encountered bruised me! I must have had my finger in some weird position over the top. I pushed down on the ring and the center sprung up and cracked me right in the top of the first bone as it joins the knuckle. I had that reminder for close to a week. That said... a few years later the lesson has still stuck....
Old 02-23-2015, 11:42 PM

My old Kenmore has the quick release. I learned to keep my finger on top of it to keep it under control.
Miriam thank you for your second photo with the tab type, I always wondered what that was.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
And a note to self and maybe others... watch how your fingers are placed when you release those quick releases! The first one I encountered bruised me! I must have had my finger in some weird position over the top. I pushed down on the ring and the center sprung up and cracked me right in the top of the first bone as it joins the knuckle. I had that reminder for close to a week. That said... a few years later the lesson has still stuck....
AHA something else I remembered. Some you push the top and some you push the side part of it - yes those buttons are pretty energetic. If you untwist one with out the quick release you better be wearing safety glasses and stand with your face as far as you can from that thing - like I said it can hit the ceiling.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:30 AM

Thanks for the info Miriam!! I don't think I have ever encountered one of these - LOL!! it would have been a big surprise if I had ever pushed one - would have thought I broke it!!
Old 02-24-2015, 08:01 AM
KLO

[QUOTE I sssssssoooooooooooo want spring. Pressure tension springs will have to do........[/QUOTE]

He, he, he. Now that's funny! It is snowing here in NC today but temps. are in the 20's now rather than the single digits like last week. Ugh!

I have never heard of the quick release button but now that you have shown us what it is in such great detailed photos (thanks for that!!!), I will be checking out every machine I ever come across now.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:24 AM

Thanks for an interesting read this morning, Miriam. I had one do the "ceiling thing" to me one time--I have forgotten how I got introduced to the tension on the presser foot idea, but I do remember checking on out one time, just out of curiosity. That one nearly got me right in the face.